Do you run labs? If so, if a patient is HIV positive but undectectable is that a no for the surgery?

Get medical clearance

The labs we check are to see if your liver and kidneys are functioning normally, and that you are not anemic. We do not check for HIV.  We do not exclude based on HIV.  If you know you have HIV, you should get clearance from your primary care doctor which will show you have the potential to handle the stress of surgery, the risk of infection, and the healing requirements.

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift…

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Dr Derby

Being HIV undetectable is not a NO go for the procedure, but the surgeon and staff will need to take safety measures. It also depends on the facility where the surgeon operates how they will handle a situation like this. Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Liposculpture / Liposuction/ Hi Definition procedures/ Body contouring with fat grafting

I appreciate your question.

Being HIV + is not a contraindication for surgery.  

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery to discuss your goals and expectations for surgery.

Dr. Schwartz
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute

HIV positive and Liposuction Surgery

I have many liposuction patients hwo are positive for HIV and this doesn't restrict them from having surgery with me.  We take extra precautions in the operating room and use different tools to ensure my HIV patient tools never touch my non HIV patients although standard cleaning methods ensure that diseases cannot be spread.  Best, Dr. Emer.

HIV lab testing is not a required pre operate blood test. But the ethical issue is on you the patient, to inform the surgeon and the staff if an exposure event is possible.