Cellfina VS Cellulaze - which one is better and why?

Hi ! I have an appt.scheduled for Cellulaze in the fall .I keep hearing (and reading) about Cellfina . Could you please tell me how they differ, why one is better than the other , pros&cons etc. ? Thanks!

Cellfina vs Cellulaze

Cellfina addresses the cause of cellulite, the bands from the undersurface of the skin to the fascia overlying the muscle which creates the dimples we call cellulite. This is performed with local anesthesia and a tiny knife through a puncture wound which does not require sutures. Cellulaze involves a laser and heat and I have seen burns attributable to this procedure which cannot occur with Cellfina. I am performing the Cellfina currently with positive results and the only side effect we have seen is post treatment bruising which will resolve over a week or two.

Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Differences and pros and cons between Cellulaze and the new Cellfina Cellulite procedures

Excellent question! The new Cellfina procedure, which I started in my practice, is truly a minimally invasive procedure that allows me to smooth out the cellulite dimples by releasing each dimple, using a tiny blade. It is performed in 45 minutes to an hour with almost immediate results, with minimal downtime. The patient drives to and from the procedure, merely wearing a compression garment over an absorbent dressing. I ask that my patients reduce their lower body workouts for 2-4 weeks following Cellfina to prevent prolonged bruising and swelling. The clinical studies show that the results have lasted more than two years.  Cellulaze, another cellulite procedure that I have offered for over 3 years, treats the cellulite of the buttock and thighs, using a laser passed under the skin through a small opening. I then use the laser to release dimples, melt the herniated fat and thermally heat up the cellulite skin. It is a minimally invasive procedure with significant downtime and a result that is variable and takes 12-18 months to visualize because the skin quality actually needs to change.  Many women have dimples and relatively normal looking skin. They are perfect candidates for Cellfina. The key is to have an in depth consultation with a board certified Plastic Surgeon who offers both Cellulaze and Cellfina, so that you can review your unique situation and together choose the best treatment for you! Good Luck!

Laurie A. Casas, MD, FACS

Cellfina VS Cellulaze

Cellfina is a less invasive procedure than Cellulaze and is associated with a greater degree of clinical improvement, more rapid recovery and higher rate of patient satisfaction. This would suggest that Cellfina is the better procedure of the two.

Cellfina more permanent

The Cellfina procedure is a minimally invasive one that numbs the area around the dimple on your buttocks or thighs, and then treats the connective bands woven throughout the fat that pull down the skin, creating dimpling seen on the skin’s surface. The Cellfina cellulite procedure works by precisely treating these tethered bands, causing them to fully release. Similar to a rubberband under tension, once released, the treated skin bounces back to smooth itself out in as little as three days.

Weight gain or weight loss should not affect the outcomes and the results have been seen for over 2 years (if not more). It is truly a really exciting new technology that most women can benefit from.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Cellfina VS Cellulaze

Cellulaze has a Realself  worth it rating of 66%. Cellfina is the latest break through for the treatment of cellulite. We are seeing an extremely high level of satisfaction for our patients treated with Cellfina. The investigational studies for Cellfina have just been released and have shown an impressive patient satisfaction rate of 85% at 3 months, 94% at one year and 96% at 2 years. Cellfina targets the fibrous bands which are the source of the dimpling in cellulite. It is most effective for the treatment of dimples and depressions of the buttocks and outer thighs. Our patients have seen exceptional results! Cellfina is a minimally invasive treatment performed in the office. No sedation or general anesthesia is required.The procedure is a minimally invasive with essentially no or very little downtime. Our patients note some soreness for a couple of days but are able to returned to work the next day after the procedure. There is generally some swelling and bruising. The bruising may take up to 3 weeks to resolve if there are a large number of dimples released.  This is a very exciting solution for the many women who suffer from the embarrassment of cellulite.

Best Regards, Andrew Lyos, MD, FACS

Andrew T. Lyos, MD, FACS

Firstly, I do not have Cellulaze and I do have Cellfina. The patient satisfaction numbers do seem to favor Cellfina in that, at one year, 94% of Cellfina patients are pleased and the number increases to 96% at two years! Cellulaze is a much more invasive procedure with more local tissue trauma. What I really like about Cellfina is that it follows the "KISS principle" (Keep It Simple & Stupid)! This is an office based procedure that is done in less than 1 hour and the patients return to their lives very quickly and have very high patient satisfaction rates. My vote is, therefore, for Cellfina.

Having now spoken with colleagues who have Cellulaze, and having learned of their experiences, I am quite sure that Cellfina is a simpler and more effective option for stable and lasting cellulite correction. This is a very safe and reliable cellulite correction system and is the only truly effective option for long lasting cellulite correction!

Steven M. Gitt, MD, FACS (in memoriam)
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Cellulaze and Cellfina do different things

See a doctor that does both treatments because they do different things.  Cellfina is best for deep dimples. Cellulaze is better for treating large areas of cottage cheese cellulite and wavey cellulite that comes from loose skin. 

Daryl K. Hoffman, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Cellfina versus Cellulaze

Great question.  In our practice, we have had experience with both devices.  Cellulaze is a technology that heats the dermis, releasing fibers to the skin during a longer procedure that can take a couple of hours.   Cellfina is a new technology that cuts the fibers with a non-heated blade under each dimple. This treats the type of cellulite with deeper dimples, releasing the fibers for at least 2 or more years.  In less than an hour, the procedure is completed.  Most people can return to activities then next day.  We have seen some excellent, more reproducible results and improvement with cellulite since we have started using Cellfina.

Grant Stevens, MD

Cellfina and Cellulaze

Dear Caligal,

Cellulaze is a laser device which is cuts the connections which cause the dimples, warms the skin in an effort to tighten the skin and can melt some of the fat in the region.  The procedure is time consuming as is the recovery many times.    Enter the latest technology called Cellfina.  This is a much quicker, less traumatic procedure which uses a device to predictable and precisely create subcision of the dimples found in cellulite.  This newly FDA approved device for cellulite treatment looks very promising as it takes less than an hour to perform, the recovery is a much easier and the results from their FDA studies look good and the results in our office from our first few patients are looking good so far.  The results for both procedures are best in patients who do not have generalized waviness, rather more discrete dimples. We all have performed subcision without the new Cellfina device with mixed results.  We have both technologies in our office and I'm really liking the Cellfina early results.  I hope this helps and best wishes. 

Cellulaze vs. Cellfina

Cellulaze is a laser-based treatment that can be performed in the office.  The area is numbed with local anesthesia similar to liposuction and small incisions are made.  The  laser fiber is threaded through a cannula that is inserted through the incisions. The procedure levels out fatty lumps and releases the fibrous bands that cause cellulite.  The incisions are closed with sutures and compression garments are worn.              

Cellfina is a subcision-based treatment. A vacuum platform is used to infiltrate local anesthesia into the area that is to be treated.  Less anesthesic solution is required for a Cellfina treatment. Using the same vacuum platform to hold the tissue, a small blade releases the fibrous bands.  Incisions do not requires sutures and an elastic garment is worn for a few days to reduce bruising. 

The key difference between the two is Cellfina treats large focal areas of dimpling but does not address fat removal.  For patients desiring removal of fat, Cellulaze is the better choice.

Marisa Lawrence, MD