I have one kidney can I still get kybella?

Kybella is safe for you

Kybella should completely safe for you. The risk of infection is minimal. Just make sure that you see a board certified injector. 

Kouros Azar

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Kybella with one kidney...

Thank you for your question. Yes, you can certainly have Kybella done with just one kidney. Kybella is safe when done properly. An infection is very rare with Kybella injections, but possible especially if you are on immunosuppressant drugs. Just make sure your injector cleans the submental injection area very well.

Kybella safety profile

Kybella is safe medication for patients with one healthy kidney.  There are very few contraindications for Kybella.   In the hands of a skilled Dermatologist, the main contraindication is active infection at the site of infection.

Jill C. Fichtel, MD
Columbus Dermatologic Surgeon

Kybella and the kidneys

You should be fine as long as your other kidney is working properly.  No systemic effects have been reported with deoxycholate, the active ingredient in Kybella, in the amount being given.  The FDA recommendation is a maximum dose of 10 ml (5 vials) of Kybella which is a 1% solution of the dexoycholate.   You may have heard about a mixture of phosphatidylcholine and deoxycholate ( and other ingredients) given in large amounts and called "lipodissolve".  A literature review suggested that  9 of 25 articles reviewed on "lipodissolve" showed some systemic side effects including acute liver dysfunction and acute renal failure.  But these were in patients getting a much larger amount of the combined mixture, and other ingredients were also present. The FDA issued a warning about lipodissolve in 2010.  But Kybella has passed the FDA's rigorous screening process for being safe and effective.A study 30 volunteers who had 4 sessions of injections of deoxycholate in the abdomen at various concentrations including 2.5 times more concentrated solutions and in larger doses vs a placebo to check the effects on the subcutaneous fat also showed "no systemic effects noted" in a study done in 2007 and reported in a scientific journal.  So even in larger doses no systemic issues were found in controlled studies with larger amounts then are given in the submental area. So as long as your physician sticks to the FDA recommendation of a maximum dose of 10 ml (5 vials) of Kybella  you should be fine.

Jonathan Hall, MD

Thank you for your excellent question.  There is no contraindication to receiving Kybella if you only have one kidney.  Hope this helps.

Yes, you can still get treated with Kybella

You can still undergo treatment with Kybella despite only having one kidney. If interested in undergoing Kybella treatment, I recommend having a consultation with a board-certified physician familiar with Kybella who can help you decide if it is the right treatment for you. I hope this answer is helpful! Best of luck.

Tracy Leong, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

There should be no reason why you could not use kybella, as long as your one kidney is functioning properly.

Jesse E. Smith, MD, FACS
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Contraindications for Kybella

Thank you for your question themideastking. It is important to review a person's entire medical history before undergoing any treatments. Kybella is the first non-surgical injectable treatment for the double chin. The only absolute contraindication for Kybella treatment is having an infection in the treatment area. Relative contraindications include difficulty swallowing, bleeding disorders, previous surgery in the area, and medical problems in the area such as an enlarged thyroid gland. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Hello themideastking,Having one kidney would not affect your ability to receive Kybella.  Difficulty swallowing before treatment is one reason to not receive injections.  I'd recommend you receive your treatment from a physician injector from one of the core aesthetic fields.I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella and Kidney Disease

There is no reason why you cannot get kybella, this is a localized injection that has no effect on the kidney.  Best, Dr. Emer.