Round vs. Teardrop? (Photo)

I am 38, less than a AA and 106 lbs. I've had two kids that I nurses for a year. I have little breast tissue and what little volume I do have sags. My doctor and I discussed a teardrop shape and I am having second thoughts. I like the upper pole fullness a round implant can provide. I like the natural look a teardrop provides. Surgery is schedule for Thursday. Thoughts?

Round vs. Teardrop?

Size and shape of breasts can often play a critical role in a woman’s self-esteem. Fuller and bigger breasts are often associated with reproducibility therefore it is a desired condition. There are different kinds of breast augmentation operation types. Breast augmentation can be performed either with breast implants or autologous fat transfer. There are also different types of breast implants like teardrop or round implants. These implants also can be placed under or above the muscle. As you can imagine there are several different options for breast augmentation. The best way to understand which one is more suitable for you is to get a physical examination by a plastic surgeon.

It is important for you to understand that you don’t always need a breast implant for breast augmentation. As it was also mentioned above you can also get bigger and natural breasts with Cihantimur Fat Transfer method. In this method we use own fat tissue of the patient in order to increase the size of the breast. Since this tissue is your own tissue there is no risk for any adverse effects. It is safe and fast operation that yields natural results without any incision.

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants / Breast Augmentation/ Cohesive Gel Implants / Silicone Implants / Revision Breast Surgery

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements. Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance. Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).
Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.
These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Go with a round implant

I suggest a round, smooth, silicone gel implant under the muscle.  This will provide you with upper pole fullness, yet still a natural shape and no worries about the implant being rotated or malpositioned.  Plus, it should be cheaper.  Don't see an indication for the shaped implants in you.

Round vs. Teardrop? (Photo)

You are a young woman with very little breast tissue. If you want more upper breast fullness, I would suggest a smooth, round implant. I think the teardrop implant is a more mature look. You will most likely be happy with either implant. Good luck!

Round or Shaped Implants

Your doctor will work with you to choose the best implant #shape and #implantprofile based on your goals and measurements.In my practice, about 15-20% of the patients are good candidates for silicone #shapedimplants.The profile is determined by the amount of projection versus roundness that the patient desires, as well as the size of the implant and size of her chest. The profiles are usually described as high, moderate plus and moderate.

Implant selection

I prefer to use round implants over teardrops for most cases because the tear drop can shift in position.

Round vs. Teardrop

an upper pole that is rounded may be common in very young women but as they age, the upper pole fullness goes away. That is the case without implants. I do agree with your surgeon that a teardrop implant will likely look more natural, but that all depends on what you define as natural. If you want upper pole fullness as part of your natural shape, then the shaped implant is not the way to go.

Julio Garcia, MD

Round vs. Teardrop?

Each plastic surgeon will have his/her own recommendation based on experience and I'll express mine. Having attended a meeting with more than 200 other board-certified plastic surgeons where our accuracy in selecting accurately which patient had round implants and which patient had teardrop implants was so poor, I would like you to realize that the differences are probably subtle and maybe even undetectable. My best advice is to have your plastic surgeon use the implant that he or she is most comfortable and experienced with and feels can give you their best result. It's most important to avoid attempting to go too large for the skin and contour that you have and this can best be determined in my opinion during the surgery when the pocket is created and your breast and skin distensability can be checked with test implants. My routine FYI is to use smooth round mid profile implants or mid-plus profile implants in selective cases. The likelihood of you obtaining a good result with any of the implants is high if the doctor you have chosen is experienced and comfortable and not trying to over augment the breast tissue and skin that you have. Good luck, best wishes and enjoy your results.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Plastic Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Sientra

The Round Base High Profile implant from Sientra is made for you. Gives more roundness with its high profile, but has a slight slope to the upper pole which can add an element of 'natural' otherwise not achieved with a round implant. Mentor has similar, but slightly oval (wider than tall), and Allergan implants, imo, are too stiff/hard in their shaped versions. 

Best. 

Kirk Moore, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Round vs Teardrop Silicone Breast Implants

You are in a mild quandry because your breast shape goals are diametric. You have to choose between a rounder fuller look vs a more 'natural' teardrop shape. You can not have it both ways. That is why there are two different shapes of silicone implants. The one compromise is go with the highest profile shaped implant so you still end up with some upper pole fullness.