How long does it normally take to see results from Retin-A? (Tretinoin)

I've been using the cream for about a month. It has helped a little bit, but I still have some acne and my hyperpigmentation. Also, I'm still peeling a little bit. When does it normally show results?

Retin-a results

Most of my patients take about 6 weeks to several months to get used to using retin-a and see changes in the skin, so we recommend a slow approach.  It can take months to see improvement in acne and hyperpigmentation, so if the retin-a is used for acne, you may need additional medications to speed up the process, then let the retin-a become more of a maintenance medication for you. 

I have people only use it two to three times a week at bedtime, and gradually build up to nightly if you can tolerate it.  It also comes in different strengths and types, so you may want to see your dermatologist and discuss whether or not you need another type, or additional treatment.  We also recommend sun protection daily to reduce the risk of hyperpigmentation.  Retin-a can be a very useful medication, so I hope you will be able to stick with it and get the results you are looking for! 

Grand Junction Dermatologic Surgeon

Skin improvement on tretinoin

Thank you for your question about your chin surgery.

Tretinoin (Retin A) will take 4-6 weeks to work.
If it does not, you may need a stronger cream, a gel tretinoin or  have topical hydroquinone or a glycolic added to the treatment.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful Best wishes.

I usually counsel my patients that it takes 8-12 weeks to see the maximum results of tretinoin therapy.
The peeling is a good sign of effectiveness. If not tolerated, you may spread out the treatments to alternate evenings, or every few evenings.

Gabriel J. Martinez-Diaz, MD
Chicago Dermatologic Surgeon