Breast Reduction Exercise

If I do chest exercises and build an underlying muscle will it lift and shrink my breasts, I am a 32D and I hate that they are so big and sag quite a bit for my age ( I am 20). SO I am looking for a way to fix those problems I want smaller breasts but I also would like them to sit higher up once I get there without surgery.

Exercise Will Help Your Health

This is a commom question that I get. Unfortunately, building the pec muscle does nothing for the overlying gland. However, it may help you to lose weight which may help to decrease breast size.

So after your breast reduction, which will reduce the size and elevate the nipple, you will be in phenominal shape to show off that new body.

Find a surgeon that performs a supromedial pedicle. This is a newer and better form of the breast reduction.

Exercise and Breast Reduction

Exercise may help you achieve weight loss therefore reducing the size of your breasts but it will not eliminate the need for a breast lift. If you are at your ideal weight, consult with an ASPS board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your concerns. Best wishes!

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Working out will tone your muscles, but not your breasts

Building up your chest muscles will not shrink and lift your breasts. The only way to non-surgically reduce the size of your breast is by losing weight. Since you are young, your skin would shrink better than older skin, but it would still not lift your breasts if they are truly drooping. Losing weight can actually make the breasts look more droopy if you lose volume and the skin doesn't shrink to match.
It's no fun to be droopy at age 20, and I can understand wanting to avoid surgery if you can. Unfortunately exercising cannot achieve what you are after. Based on your description, the best way to make your breasts smaller and lift them up is with a breast reduction, which also lifts the position of your breasts. If you don't want them smaller, you can get a breast lift alone.
I would recommend meeting with a board certified plastic surgeon to see how you can best achieve the results you want, and go from there.
Hope this helps, and good luck!

Anita Patel, MD

Unfortunately not

Hi there-

Exercise is great, and will definitely improve your overall feeling of well-being, but will not do anything to help with breasts that have a poor shape. In some women (depending on the composition of your breasts), the breasts may get a bit smaller with weight loss, but the shape will remain droopy (and this may even worsen as they get smaller).

My advice would be to achieve your desired weight and lifestyle, then find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with a lot of experience in breast surgery and discuss your goals with them.

Breast reduction patients, as noted below, are among the most happy patients we have in plastic surgery.

Good luck!

Exercise will not improve the aesthetic appearance of breasts

I understand your frustration, but exercise will not improve the aesthetic appearance of your breasts. This is especially true as it relates to the degree of sagging that you have. In fact, if you experience weight loss from your exercise regimen, your sagging could worsen! This is because the skin envelope is already stretched and with breast volume loss, the breast will droop more. You probably do not want to focus on increasing muscle mass of the pectoral muscles as this will contribute to making your breasts appear larger in the upper poles.

So, exercise is very important for your overall health but be advised that it will not improve the appearance of your breasts. My advice is to reconsider surgery. Please seek a consultation with a board certified/eligible plastic surgeon experienced in breast surgery to discuss various surgical options with you.

Stephen A. Goldstein, MD
Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Sadly, no

If you exercise and lose body fat, your breasts will shrink to some degree depending on your genetics and how much fat vs. breast tissue comprises your breasts. But as they shrink, they will also droop more if they are already sitting low. The key is where the nipple and areola are positioned in relation to the crease below the breast. If the nipple is well above the crease you might shrink and just lose upper pole fullness. If the nipple is at or below the crease already, it will stay there or even go a little lower as you lose weight.

Your pecs can't lift your breasts

Exercise is great for shaping and toning your body and improving your cardiovascular system but unfortunately will do nothing to elevate your breast other than it might appear lifted if you lose weight and they get smaller.  When your weight has stabilized, ideally for several months, and your breasts are still larger than you like, consider a consultation for a reduction with a board certified plastic surgeon.  

Exercise and Breast Reductions

Exercise will help you lose weight and give you good muscle tone, but will not shrink the breast gland or lift your breasts. Losing weight can actually make the breasts look more droopy if you lose fat volume in your breast.

The underlying glands and fat in the breasts are what affect the size. Building up pectoral chest muscles has no effect on the size of these glands.
Surgery is the only way to lift and reshape the breasts. In select cases, noted by your Surgeon Liposuction can contour and reduce overall breast volume

Its always good advice to look at before and after pictures and talk with your plastic surgeon, so you'll have realist exceptions about this type of surgery.

Breast reduction surgery

Hello, unfortunately the only way to reduce your breasts (& lift them) is by surgery.  No amount of muscle strengthening or exercises will help. If you wish to have your breasts reduced then you should seek a consultation with a plastic surgeon. All the best

Kim Taylor, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Exercise to reduce breast?

There is no exercise that will reduce your chest or breast size. The only way to reduce your breast size is with surgery. I would recommend a board certified plastic surgeon that has experience with breast surgery. 

Sergio Alvarez, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon