Breast Reduction Exercise

If I do chest exercises and build an underlying muscle will it lift and shrink my breasts, I am a 32D and I hate that they are so big and sag quite a bit for my age ( I am 20). SO I am looking for a way to fix those problems I want smaller breasts but I also would like them to sit higher up once I get there without surgery.

Exercise Will Help Your Health

This is a commom question that I get. Unfortunately, building the pec muscle does nothing for the overlying gland. However, it may help you to lose weight which may help to decrease breast size.

So after your breast reduction, which will reduce the size and elevate the nipple, you will be in phenominal shape to show off that new body.

Find a surgeon that performs a supromedial pedicle. This is a newer and better form of the breast reduction.

Exercise and Breast Reduction

Exercise may help you achieve weight loss therefore reducing the size of your breasts but it will not eliminate the need for a breast lift. If you are at your ideal weight, consult with an ASPS board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your concerns. Best wishes!

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction surgery

Hello, unfortunately the only way to reduce your breasts (& lift them) is by surgery.  No amount of muscle strengthening or exercises will help. If you wish to have your breasts reduced then you should seek a consultation with a plastic surgeon. All the best

Kim Taylor, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Working out will tone your muscles, but not your breasts

Building up your chest muscles will not shrink and lift your breasts. The only way to non-surgically reduce the size of your breast is by losing weight. Since you are young, your skin would shrink better than older skin, but it would still not lift your breasts if they are truly drooping. Losing weight can actually make the breasts look more droopy if you lose volume and the skin doesn't shrink to match.
It's no fun to be droopy at age 20, and I can understand wanting to avoid surgery if you can. Unfortunately exercising cannot achieve what you are after. Based on your description, the best way to make your breasts smaller and lift them up is with a breast reduction, which also lifts the position of your breasts. If you don't want them smaller, you can get a breast lift alone.
I would recommend meeting with a board certified plastic surgeon to see how you can best achieve the results you want, and go from there.
Hope this helps, and good luck!

Anita Patel, MD

Unfortunately not

Hi there-

Exercise is great, and will definitely improve your overall feeling of well-being, but will not do anything to help with breasts that have a poor shape. In some women (depending on the composition of your breasts), the breasts may get a bit smaller with weight loss, but the shape will remain droopy (and this may even worsen as they get smaller).

My advice would be to achieve your desired weight and lifestyle, then find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with a lot of experience in breast surgery and discuss your goals with them.

Breast reduction patients, as noted below, are among the most happy patients we have in plastic surgery.

Good luck!

Exercise will not improve the aesthetic appearance of breasts

I understand your frustration, but exercise will not improve the aesthetic appearance of your breasts. This is especially true as it relates to the degree of sagging that you have. In fact, if you experience weight loss from your exercise regimen, your sagging could worsen! This is because the skin envelope is already stretched and with breast volume loss, the breast will droop more. You probably do not want to focus on increasing muscle mass of the pectoral muscles as this will contribute to making your breasts appear larger in the upper poles.

So, exercise is very important for your overall health but be advised that it will not improve the appearance of your breasts. My advice is to reconsider surgery. Please seek a consultation with a board certified/eligible plastic surgeon experienced in breast surgery to discuss various surgical options with you.

Stephen A. Goldstein, MD
Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Sadly, no

If you exercise and lose body fat, your breasts will shrink to some degree depending on your genetics and how much fat vs. breast tissue comprises your breasts. But as they shrink, they will also droop more if they are already sitting low. The key is where the nipple and areola are positioned in relation to the crease below the breast. If the nipple is well above the crease you might shrink and just lose upper pole fullness. If the nipple is at or below the crease already, it will stay there or even go a little lower as you lose weight.

Exercise to lift breasts.

As you are 20 your skin should still be very elastic, and so if you lose weight (for instance through exercise) then you breasts should get smaller. How your breasts then look afterwards will depend on how much breast tissue you lose, how much your skin retracts, and the position of your nipples. If your nipples start at a low position then the overall appearance once your breasts shrink, will probably be that they look more saggy then if your nipples are more centrally or highly positioned no your breasts before you lose weight. Increasing your pec muscles will not significantly change your breast shape.

Anthony Barabas, MBBS
Cambridge Plastic Surgeon

Exercise is not the answer

Having large breasts can be very uncomfortable for someone your age, or any age for that matter! Many young women are dealing with this similar situation. I am unsure about your height and weight, but mostly at a young age,  your breasts are dense and are not a lot of fat. Because of this, no amount of exercise will REALLY change how large your breast are or how much the muscle will affect their position on your chest. I have had patients try to exercise excessively and diet, which is VERY unhealthy. Surgery is really the best way to reduce the breasts. I tend to perform Vertical lifts so there is less overall scarring and longer lasting results. Good luck

Christine Blaine, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Exercises to reduce breasts

Unfortunately there are no good exercises that will reduce your breasts. Surgery is likely the only option for this. Be sure to get a consult with a plastic surgeon so he/she can guide your decision. 

Dr. Blagg

Austin, TX