When Will I Notice the Results of the Botox?

Had botox between eyes, frown lines 2 days ago... I see no difference.

Botox Effects can be seen 3 to 5 days after treatment: Botulinum Type A

Botox Cosmetic and Effect of Botox

Botox Cosmetic is produced by Allergan. Botox is a name brand for Botulinum Toxin Serotype A and is effective for the reduction of dynamic wrinkles in the forehead, eyebrow area, crow's feet, and perioral area.

Botox works by stopping the output of a specific neurotransmitter known as Acetylcholine across the nerve. Although the effects of Botox occur immediately to stop the release of Acetylcholine, there is still some reserve of the chemical that will last about three to five days in the nerve synapse. Once the reserve is used up, then botox will succesfully stop the release of further Acetylcholine for several months.

In my Santa Monica office, I instruct my patients to follow a strict exercise protocol after their injection.

Questions: spakare@yahoo.com

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD www.karemd.com Kare Plastic Surgery & Skin Health Clinic Santa Monica, Los Angeles Plastic Surgery

BOTOX Cosmetic takes time to work

In general, a patient should notice some effect of the BOTOX Cosmetic within 4-7 days of it being injected. However, this time may be shorter in some individuals. The complete effect is generally seen by 14 days after the date of the injection.

One of the most frequent misconceptions is that BOTOX Cosmetic will work immediately. It is important to understand how BOTOX Cosmetic works.

After BOTOX Cosmetic is injected into the muscle, it takes time for it to bind to the receptor responsible for sending the signal to release a chemical that results in muscle contraction. Until this binding takes place, the patient will not see an effect. This process takes a different amount of time in different people.

I recommend that all patients be seen two weeks after being injected with BOTOX Cosmetic. This will allow your physician to critically evaluate the results. If you are pleased, it will allow the physician to know this so he/she can repeat the injection technique in the future. If you are not completely satisfied, a dose adjustment ("touch up injection") can be performed to meet your expectations. This will also allow your physician to adjust his/her technique in the future.

Remember that BOTOX Cosmetic will not remove lines or wrinkles that are already etched into the skin. For this, one should consider skin resurfacing (e.g., chemical peels, laser, dermabrasion) and/or injectable filler materials (e.g., Restylane, Juvederm).

Be sure your physician has the proper training, credentials, and experience. Communicate your goals before your injection. This will allow your physician to meet and hopefully exceed your expectations.

Adam Schaffner, MD, FACS

You should notice the Botox starting to work in 2-3 days...

You should notice the Botox starting to work in 2-3 days. Over the course of 7-10 days, the effect will become stronger. In my practice, I ask patients to return at two weeks as that point they should be seeing maximal effect. As is mentioned in other forums, lines between the brows can be due to either muscle motion or tethering of the skin to deeper structures. This means that for maximal effect you may need Botox + some type of filler. More permanent options are available.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Generally Two Weeks After Treatment...

While most patients see the beginning results of Botox in two to three days, the full effect will not be seen until about two weeks after injections. However, some patients may need a combination of Botox and dermal fillers to see optimal results. Follow up with your doctor after a suitable amount of time if you’re still unhappy with the results.

Andre Berger, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Botox - starts to work in a few days; complete results in 2 weeks

Botox typically starts working in 4-7 days.  Your muscles will weaken further, and you will have your final results in 2 weeks.  Touchups are generally done after 2 weeks have passed.

Melissa Chiang, MD, FAAD
Houston Dermatologic Surgeon

Most patients begin to notice a result within 2-3 days following injection.

Most patients begin to notice a result within 2-3 days following injection of Botox. Patients may require 7 days to notice their 'final' result. If you do not notice an effect or your desired result after 7 days, it is a good idea to see your physician who did your treatment. You may require additional units of Botox to see the desired effect.

Sanjay Grover, MD

Botox time to work

Botox typically takes 2-3 days to begin to work. The complete effect can take about a week. If after a week you haven't seen an improvement you should see your doctor.

Pre-injection and post-injection photos can be very helpful in documenting the improvement. Your doctor should also keep close records documenting how much they've injected, at what concentration and where.

Be sure to find a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist. At my practice, I perform all the injections personally.

Steven H. Williams, MD

Botox effect time table

Botox usually begins to act in about 3 days. Full effect may take up to 14 days but is usually 7-10 days. Best Wishes, Maurice Vick MD

Botox Results -- When?

After every Botox procedure, I always inform my patients to wait for about 3 days or 72 hours, at the very least, for the effects to onset. It could possibly take longer though since our bodies have varying reactions to Botox.

Another approach that I do is giving a mild dose of Botox to my patients. If the effect is not very strong, we can always give more. I believe that giving a lot right on the get-go could produce a longer wait time of up to 4 months, just so the Botox would be fully absorb. Giving more units if the initial one did not provide the needed results could be more helpful than trying to resolve it all at once.

Again, typically it could take 72 hours at the least, but it could go longer depending on the absorption rate of the body or the results that the patient may want to achieve.

Robert W. Sheffield, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

3-4 days

I ask patients to wait at least 72 hrs for the results to onset. It can take a bit longer. Another strategy I often take is to give a light dose, if the results are not quite strong enough we can always add more. If you give too much off the bat the patient will have to wait 4 months for it to resolve. 

There is no issue to add a few more units if you are still not where you want to be.

Hope this helps,

DrC

Benjamin Caughlin, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon