I got a tray made by my dentist with the gel with 6% hydrogen peroxide, it's been over a week (10 applications so far for an hour each like my dentist told me even though the package says 3-4 hours) and all I can see is tiny lines and dots when I look closely, I've only got another 6 applications to go which doesn't seem enough.. When will i see results? Will my doctor prescribe more gel if I don't achieve any whitening? Also how long can I use gel for without my teeth falling out etc..
When Should I See Results with Professional Tray Teeth Whitening?
Doctor Answers 5
Tray Teeth Whitening Question
Some teeth are more difficult than others to whiten. That being said ,6% gel is not very powerful for an initial bleaching. Be sure to follow all instructions as well such as no coffee or other staining foods during active bleaching. My advice if you complete your at home system and are not satisfied, is to bleach in office with a light and more intense whitening product.
Your questions about whitening
There are several factors that influence teeth whitening results:
1) Starting condition and color of teeth: Teeth that start with a fairly 'grey' shade or have heavy 'internal' staining (such as tetracycline stains) are considerably more difficult to treat successfully and will take more specialized treatment and longer treatment time.
2) Concentration of solution: The higher the concentration, the quicker the results. Although you risk having more sensitivity with the higher concentrations. If you have not had a problems with sensitivity, you can switch to higher concentration, but make sure you stop immediately and contact your dentist if you should start feeling sensitivity.
3) The type of teeth staining food/substances you consumer during and after your bleaching treatment: Any substance that will stain a white shirt can stain your teeth, particularly during treatment as the teeth can more readily absorb such stains. I recommend avoiding coffee, tea, dark fruit juices, foods containing yellow or red curry, etc. Smoking is also a no-no (during and, if possible, after treatment.)
4) Your persistence in following the recommended course (sounds like you've done a fantastic job.
5) I am assuming you don't have any existing crowns/bridges in your front teeth (those will not whiten)
Having said all this, most patients begin seeing some results 1-2 weeks after persistent use. Your dentist should have the most experience with the specific solution that was dispensed. Please, check with the clinic about possible options and follow-up.
Everyone is a little different when it comes to whitening. Sometimes it can take longer than expected. If you aren't having any sensitivity, consider switching to a higher concentration gel.
You might also like...
Your should see dramatic results within a few days. After that progress is slower. Make sure the trays fit correctly, and ask for a stronger gell or wear for longer.
When will I see result of whitening ?
Normally within the week, yes they prescribe more gel, no your teeth will not fall out if used as directed, watch your diet and no smoking if you really want white teeth good luck
Kevin Coughlin DMD,MBA, MAGD CEO Baystate Dental PC
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.