When can one consume alcohol after getting botox and restylane filler? (photo)

I'm 35 years old female and I got botox in my forehead and restylane filler in my laugh lines on Wednesday afternoon. Will I be able to go out on the weekend and consume alcohol (Vodka)?

Botox after care

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question. I typically focus my aftercare on restricting activities that make you hot, sweaty or flushed: Examples include strenuous activities, alcohol, saunas, hot baths, etc… This will increase your chance of bruising. If no bruising, by the next day, the you should be good to go. If there is, then I recommend another day to make sure the bruise is not getting worse. I am not as worried about the not laying down after four hours.

Drinking alcohol after a Botox treatment

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photograph Sonya3000. I understand your concern. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression. When injected into the skin Botox will relax the muscles and smoothen out the overlying wrinkles. The most common areas of treatment are in the upper face. These include the horizontal lines seen on the upper forehead when one raises the brows, the vertical lines seen between the brows when one frowns (frown lines), and the crow's feet seen around the eyes when one smiles.

The pivotal studies demonstrated that the peak results are seen 14 days after the treatment and most people enjoy their results for 3-4 months. At that point, a maintenance treatment is recommended. While some people start to see results as early as the next day, it can take two weeks for full results so patience is important. We have our patients return two weeks after their treatment to assess their results via photographs. At that time additional units may be added if necessary.

With any injection, there are risks such as pain, bleeding, bruising, redness, swelling, tenderness, and infection. We take special precautions to minimize these risks such as using a painless technique. We also treat bruises with a laser as early as the next day. Bruises usually resolve within two weeks if untreated. After a laser treatment bruises usually resolve in 1-3 days, but may still take two weeks for full resolution.

In addition to these risks, with Botox there is also a risk that the product spreads or diffuses to nearby structures. Certain activities may increase this risk. I provide the following aftercare instructions: After a Botox treatment, I recommend that my patients avoid heat exposure, alcohol consumption, and strenuous exercise for 24 hours and not lie down flat for four hours. This is because all of these activities may possibly lead to the movement of the product and consequent side effects such as droopy eyelids as described above. Although there have been no definitive studies shown that these actually occur and some physicians do not provide such aftercare instructions, in the absence of data I err on the side of caution and recommend that my patients avoid such activities. If I had a patient who were to have a treatment on a Wednesday I would say there should be no concerns in terms of drinking alcohol that weekend.

Botox is what we call a neuromodulator. This means that it controls nerves to relax the muscles by preventing them from contracting. Botox is the most popular neuromodulator available, has been the most studied, and is cleared for the most number of indications. Other neuromodulators available in the United States include Dysport, Xeomin, and Mybloc. Overseas many others are also available. Each product has slight differences, but all of them work. The majority of our patients find that they like the results of Botox the best. Additionally, Allergan, the maker of Botox, offers the Brilliant Distinctions Program. This is a rewards program where patients receive points from their Botox treatments which can be used toward discounts at subsequent treatments. Points are also received when patients purchase other treatments in the Allergan portfolio including Juvederm Ultra, Juvederm Ultra Plus, Voluma, Volbella, Vollure, and Kybella or products such as Latisse or Skin Medica products.

I find that combining Botox with other treatments or skin care regimens enhances the results and allows patients to enjoy their results for longer. One specific topical product our patients have found to be outstanding in conjunction with a Botox (and filler) treatment is our Hydrating Serum, which contains hyaluronic acid. Hyaluronic acid draws water into the skin and helps to fill in fine lines and wrinkles.

A common misconception is that Botox is only for those who are in their 60's or 70's. On the contrary, I have a lot of patients in their 20's who receive Botox. This is either for prevention or for those who have expressive faces. I find that the younger one is when one starts receiving Botox treatments the more signs of aging will be delayed. In other words, Botox can be used to prevent wrinkles from getting deeper over time.

Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alcohol increases bruising

Alcohol consumption can increase your risk of bruising and swelling. Generally, I'd avoid alcohol consumption for 48 hours post-treatment… and for three days to really be on the safe side. Try not to drink excessive amounts and avoid drinking directly from bottles (to avoid the filler moving around from suction).

Botox and Alcohol

There isn't a real contraindication to consuming alcohol after receiving Botox or fillers.  With that said, it can increase your risk of bruising, so you may want to abstain from any alcohol for at least 24hrs to help reduce your chances of bruising.  

Alcohol after fillers and Botox

Bruising can get worse if you drink alcohol so soon after your treatment. You may want to wait a couple of days, or longer if you have excessive bruising. However, if you're fine, then it should be okay.

Botox and Alcohol

Generally, it is not a problem to consume alcohol after receiving Botox, Restylane or any filler. I suggest you speak directly with your treatment provider to see if they have any restrictions.

Mitchel P. Goldman, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Alcohol after Botox and Fillers

There is no real contraindication to having alcohol after Botox and fillers. It is generally discouraged a little because it thins your blood and increases the chance of a bruise, which is really only a concern with fillers, and rarely an issue with Botox. That said, I recommend no alcohol the same day to minimize any chance of a bruise and/or reduce the duration of a bruise. ~ Dr. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre.

Benjamin Barankin, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Alcohol after fillers or Botox

I don't give any restrictions on alcohol after injections. There are no issues with it, so be safe and have a good time. 

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Alcohol after botox/filler

There is no contraindication to consuming alcohol following a Botox and filler procedure. I advise my patients to wait 24 hours after filler to consume alcohol since this may increase the potential for bruising. I do not restrict alcohol consumption after Botox. Please consult your treating physician for their recommendations. Best wishes. 

When can alcohol be consumed after getting Botox and Restylane?

Different doctors may have different rules as to when they allow patients to have alcohol after treatments like Botox and Restylane, so it is best to check with your injector.  Personally, I do not restrict patients from having alcohol immediately after Botox and Restylane treatments.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon