Are my implants too far apart? (Photo)

I always had natural, attractive cleavage but breast feeding took a real toll. I had 350cc silicone implants placed under the muscle on 9/17. My breasts were a C prior to surgery. I am beyond depressed with the result. I HAVE NO CLEAVAGE & feel I wasted $12,000. I keep sobbing. My dr keeps delaying the checkup. He's now on vacation. They feel like they're in my armpits. Will they move closer? I'm sobbing. Dr isn't back till October.

Wide gap and breast implants

Thanks for posting your question. I am happy to try and help you. It is important to remember that a board certified plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to an accurate assessment of your situation, and concerns.

Having said that, it looks like you have had a nice lift and breast augmentation. You have a wide gap and will not see lots of cleavage. This is not new. You should go look at your preop pictures and this should calm you down. This does not mean you will not have a lovely result. Your preoperative anatomy is very important in your post operative result.

If you would like to see results of women just like you. Visit the web reference below. You will see that they have great results. In their clothes and swim suits they look amazing. Disrobed and in person they also look very good. It is just not the tight cleavage look. Since none of these women ever cleavage, they understand that it is just not their look.

Dr. Michael J. Brown
Northern Virginia Plastic Surgeon

Resolution of swelling and distortion can take longer when a lift is added to breast augmentation

Depressed,

At this stage, just 10 days post augmentation with mastopexy and implants, you are too early to judge the outcome.   Although a lift does not usually lengthen the time to resumption of normal activity, it does prolong the resolution and maturation of the aesthetic result in many instances.  Patience is key at this point, as is communication with the surgeon you entrusted with your care.  I hope that this helps.  Information concerning augmentation with lift is found at the link below.

Thomas M. DeWire Sr., MD (retired)
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Are my implants too far apart?

Hello! Thank you for your question! You are still early post-procedure. Your appearance looks typical at this stage and will continue to improve as the swelling subsides and the implants continue to settle into their desired position. This usually proceeds over the next several weeks as the lower pole skin/breast stretches to accommodate the implants. Follow-up closely with your surgeon for additional restrictions/instructions and the potential use of bras/garments or massage that may encourage the implant to settle appropriately. If still displaced after this time, a surgical procedure may be necessary to further open the pocket and bring the implant(s) down. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Too far apart?

Thank you for your question and photos.  At only five days post-op, it is far too soon to assess the results of your surgery.  Over the next few months, your breasts will undergo changes such as a reduction in swelling as well as dropping into place.  Only at that point should you even begin to consider a revision.  In the meantime, please continue to follow your surgeon's instructions regarding post-op care.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Implants too far apart

From the photos it appears that you had a breast lift with implants. With seeing your preop photos without a bra on its hard to tell how far apart they were to begin with. You are very early in the healing process and the path of least resistance for the implants is to go up and out towards the shoulder. With time they will settle inwards and the space between the breasts will narrow. As plastic surgeons we have to place the implants under the middle portion of the breast. If the breast bone is very wide and wider implant base my help. Give yourself a few months to heal. Good luck. 

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Breast Implants

Thank you for your question about breast implants.

It has only been 5 days since your surgery.  Patience and follow up with your plastic surgeon.

Good Luck!

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Are my implants too far apart?

Hi, there.  Sorry to hear that you are depressed about your result.  However, it is too early to assess your outcome at this time.  As swelling and implants settle, your overall result will improve.  Please be patient and follow up with your plastic surgeon.   He will be able to give your reassurance. Good luck with your continued recovery.

Will improve

Looks like you had a breast lift with implants.  You probably had loose attachment of your skin to your chest bone.  The initial swelling is tenting your skin up reducing the effective cleavage.  As the swelling improves,
your cleavage will improve as well.
Best Wishes,
Nana Mizuguchi

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS

Early Results

I am sorry to hear your depressed with your early results. The good news is that all implants and, in particular, lifts change drastically and tend to improve with time. You will have to be patient, and assess your results over the next 3-6 months. If you remain unhappy at that time discuss your options with your surgeon. Larger and wider implants would provide more, and narrower, cleavage but also a larger breast. That may or may not have been discussed or an option at first surgery. Lifts are always a bit more of a "work in progress" and I am always upfront with my patients' about the likelihood of a second surgery to take a B or B+ result to an A. Best of luck.

Are my implants too far apart?

I am sorry to hear about your concerns after breast augmentation/lifting surgery. As you likely know, given that your surgery was performed relatively recently, it is too early to evaluate the long-term outcome of the procedure performed. Although online consultants cannot provide you with meaningful reassurance or predictions, I can tell you that your breasts will change over the course of the next several months, hopefully to your liking. I would suggest that you do your best to exercise patience and to state emotionally even keeled. Follow up with your plastic surgeon as scheduled and communicate your concerns/questions in a calm/constructive fashion. Best wishes.