4 Weeks Liposuction Post Op., Am I Still Swollen Or Are These My Final Results?

I had lower abs, flanks and mons pubic liposuctioned 4 weeks 3 days ago. I had more results at 2 weeks then I do now. Is it possible to still be swollen? Seems like results are slowly going and the pubic area 200cc of fat was removed but seems like there is not much of a difference at all. I'm frustrated because I dont "feel" swollen anymore. Is it possible to be swollen still or is this my end result?

Residual Swelling Not Uncommon At This Point!

Your history strongly suggests the presence of significant residual swelling. Patients undergoing liposuction will inevitably develop swelling following this procedure. During the procedure, the liposuction cannula is passed through the subcutaneous tissue. This causes disruption of the lymphatic channels and cellular injury, which causes swelling.

Significant improvement in swelling can be seen in the first three weeks following surgery, with the majority gone in about three months.Small amounts of swelling may persist for up to a year following surgery.

We generally recommend the use of compression support garments for about three weeks following surgery.We also recommend a low-salt diet before and after liposuction.Exercise is usually started early in the post-operative period, and we want patients to ambulate as soon as possible following surgery.

Massage is also helpful.It decreases swelling by mobilizing retained fluid following liposuction.All of these steps help to minimize the duration of swelling following liposuction.

In your case, your swelling is probably normal and should resolve with time.Compression, massage, ambulation and low-salt intake will hopefully help you get there sooner.

Swelling after lipo

Wait about 2 months for most of the swelling to go away, then 6 months for your final results. At a month after surgery, you're still most likely swollen even if you don't feel like it.

Ronald Levine, MD

Liposuction Final Results Takes Several Months

Bruising and swelling are normal in the suctioned areas and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However it may take 6-9 months to disappear completely. The compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly the process will proceed. See your plastic surgeon and let them know any concerns you have.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Liposuction Results

Maximum swelling is usually within about three to five days after your surgery, and the majority of it along with bruising goes away in two to three weeks. You may feel some firmness, though, for a few months afterward. You can assess your results at three to four months after surgery.

You may not "feel" swollen anymore, but you may be. If you have concerns, please talk to your surgeon. Best of luck!

Results after liposuction

It appears that you got a significant improvement with your liposuction.  In general there is 2.2 pounds per liter of fat removed.    Even at 4 weeks you do have some swelling present. In general you are 50% of the way there at 6 weeks and 80% at 3 months.  Re-evaluate at 6 months and decide if you need additional liposuction.

Swelling following liposuction

The majority of swelling after liposuction usually decreases over the first three months so it is not surprising that you still have swelling. You can also still have some minor swelling for up to a year following a procedure. It can be affected by how much fat was removed. In order to aid in reducing the swelling faster, continue wearing a compression garment on your lower half. If you notice an increase in swelling or pain over time be sure to follow up with your plastic surgeon.

4 Weeks Liposuction Post Op., Am I Still Swollen Or Are These My Final Results

Thank you for submitting your question.  A photo would be helpful.  Your only 4 weeks after surgery.  Swelling after liposuction will last for many weeks after surgery.  Final results take 6-12 months. Continue to use your contour garment, minimize activities, and lymphatic massage help with the swelling. Discuss your concerns with your Plastic surgeon.

Swollen or final results?

Recovery for liposuction is relatively quick, but bruising and swelling can remain up to two or four weeks. Residual swelling lasts for several months, but it's usually not very apparent. See your surgeon to discuss your results.

Liposuction results get better after one month

Absolutely, you can see more improvement after a month through the six month period as collagen increases and contracts the looser tissue that is created after tunnels of fat are removed with liposuction.  Gravity makes the swelling fluids settle in the pubis and it's the last to see the swelling leave.  Be patient and excited about your result. WEar the compression garment if one was recommended. Followup with your surgeon.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction Results?

At 4 weeks postop it is still too early to evaluate your final results. I ask patients to wait at least 2 to 3 months to assess the results of the procedure. It may take several months later for the skin to “redrape".

I would suggest continued follow-up with your plastic surgeon.