Do You Have to Wear a Compression Bra After a Breast Lift or is a Sports Bra Enough?

I forgot to mention what surgery in my first question. I'm referring to a breast lift no implants. Thanks.

Sports bra after surgery

After a breast lift, you do want a supportive bra without an underwire but not a compression garment.  Your bra can provide too much compression for sure.  The most delicate part of a breast lift is that bottom middle area where the vertical and horizontal scars meet.  You don't want too much compression on this area.

Type of bra after breast lift...

My patients are told to wear underwire bras with adjustable straps so they can cinch them up to support the breast tissue... and good quality sport bras with activities after 3-4 weeks of recovery.  Squisher sport bras do not count in my book.

Curtis Wong, MD

Bra after Breast lift

This varies considerably from surgeon to surgeon. I like my patients to wear a soft conforming bra with crease support but not an underwire.

Check with your surgeon.

Peter Fisher, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Brock Type Following Breast Lift

Every surgeon has their own procedures following breast lift surgery.  However, I personally use a standard sports bra that I let the patient change into the day following surgery.  This generally provides all of the support one needs.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Type of bra after breast lift

Every plastic surgeon has his own regimen.  There isn't much difference between a surgical compression garment and a sports bra.  I prefer a bra that doesn't require you to go into contortions to pull over your head.  Either one is fine and will not affect the surgical outcome.

Do what your PS has recommended. I generally use a sports bra and sometimes no bra at all. It really depends on the surgery and other factors.

Breast lift and bra

I usually ahve patients wear a sports bra but not for compression really just for comfort.  Some surgeons do not even use bras.

Sports Bra vs. Compression Bra

The key to a nice result from a breast lift is taking the weight of the breast tissue off of the healing skin.   This is important to help minimize skin stretching out and scar widening.

For this reason,  I recommend a form fitting compression bra without wire for 3 weeks, followed by a snug sports bra until 6 weeks.   I do not allow wire for 6 weeks, as it can irritate the scar and cause wound healing problems. 

After 6 weeks, I allow patients to wear any bra they desire, as long as it offers enough support to offset the weight of the breast to the skin.

Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Garment post op

A sports bra, as long as it is well fitted will be fine.