Is it normal for males to have slightly different nipple shape to the other side?

Hello, this may sound like a bit of a silly question, so apologies, but after showering I notices that one of my nipples was a slightly different shape to my other one. The actual nipple itself is oval and the other one the same but slightly different looking. You can notice once looking very closely though so is only slightly, I am.just wondering is this normal, and normal.for men to have slightly different shape to the other one? Otherwise everything else is completely normal. I am a 24 year old male

Breast and Nipple Asymmetry in Males

#Unilateral gynecomastia occurs when only one breast is larger due to gynecomastia, while the other breast is typically normal in both size and shape. #Bilateral asymmetry occurs when gynecomastia is present in both breasts, although each to a different degree. The amount of glandular tissue can affect the size, shape, and location on the chest wall of the enlarged area, the size of the areolas, and protrusion and diameter of the nipples.

Unequal or unilateral gynecomastia is not an uncommon condition. It is more significant when there are very noticeable differences between the two breasts. Usually, the degree of difference between the two breasts is not severe. Through a study of his patients, however, more than 80% of male breasts are not symmetrical, but the severity varies greatly from patient to patient. Patients should take this into consideration while examining their chests prior to surgery.
"Puffy Nipple Areola Complex" is among the most common forms of gynecomastia. This gland and/or adipose tissue accumulation can be located under the areola or can be slightly extended outside the areola, causing the areola to appear dome shaped.This form of #Gynecomastia can be found in all age groups but is more common in young adults.In addition to correcting the difference between breast sizes, the #areola often shrinks when #gynecomastia excision is performed. In more pronounced cases, the areola may even be larger. When the glandular tissue is removed, the areola #symmetry may improve.

As each case is different, it is vital that you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in male breast surgery. The surgeon should determine if you are a suitable candidate for male breast reduction by liposuction or glandular excision. It is also crucial to have a plastic surgeon who is well-versed in the gynecomastia condition can determine if there is firm breast tissue beneath the areola that is causing the nipples to project (which is often the case), and if so, how much of this glandular tissue can be removed to create a flat appearance.

Nipple difference

Hello, nipple asymmetry it not uncommon and usually nothing to be worried about.  New changes in the appearance of the nipple, like retraction, discharge or a palpable lump, can be a sign of a problem and should be discussed with your family doctor.

Nipple asymmetry

Almost all men and women have some asymmetry in their nipples and areolas.  When the breasts are larger, as with many women, the asymmetries may be increased.  There is no need to treat the asymmetry unless it bothers you.

David Stoker, MD

Male nipple size/shape asymmetry

Perfect symmetry is rare--whether we're talking about the face, the chest, or even the nipples.

If you are asking whether some nipple asymmetry is problematic, the answer is only if it bothers you enough to do something about it.  If it does not, then don't worry about it.  If it does, then you may wish to consider nipple reduction on one (the oval side) or both sides.

Surprisingly, I perform male nipple reductions at least a couple times each month.  Nipple reduction surgery is performed under local anesthesia and typically takes about 30 minutes. For your comfort, we also have laughing gas available at no additional charge. After the numbing medication is placed, a chevron-shaped (think of the Chevron logo) removal of excess tissue is performed, and the incision is closed with absorbable sutures. I generally recommend leaving a small amount of residual nipple projection. The areas are covered with antibiotic ointment and band-aids.

Pain is usually mild and well-controlled with Tylenol. Strenuous exercise should be avoided for a few days. The resulting scars are generally inconspicuous and are often difficult to find. 

Ronald Friedman, MD
Plano Plastic Surgeon