How do you know if you have visceral fat in the abdomen?

I posted previously, I had liposuction on my upper and lower abs about a year ago (July 2015). By November I had lost 5 pounds but seeing minimal effects in the abdomen area. Now a year later all the fat is back. Yes my stomach looks exactly like it did pre surgery. I have not had any other odd weight gain, that people say sometimes happen. Just all the weight came back? How is that possible? How do I know if this is visercal fat?

VASER Hi Definition Liposuction / Body Contouring with Fat Grafting

I suggest a consultation to determine if you are a candidate for liposuction or not.  Visceral fat pushes the stomach forward and is deep within the body.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Determining if you have visceral fat

Visceral fat, inch of domino fat or got fat is fat around our internal organs deep to the muscle layer. As you probably know this type of fat cannot be removed surgically. If someone has a large protruding abdomen with very little fat that can be pinched then they probably have excessive amounts of intra-abdominal fat. Most people with excess of intra-abdominal fat also are overweight to some degree. The most common misunderstanding of intra-abdominal fat it's probably muscle separation from previous pregnancies. Perhaps the worst candidates for abdominal liposuction are postpartum women with a combination of muscle separation, visceral fat and skin laxity. For women who have this Triad weight loss and a full abdominoplasty is generally the only and correct procedure. Many people fall somewhere in the middle of the spectrum. An individual honest in-person consultation this key for discussing both the assessment and potential outcomes prior to any surgical intervention. Best, Mats Hagstrom MD

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Liposuction - how to tell if there is visceral fat?

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.
  • Your surgeonn will need to examine you to tell you if you have visceral fat.
  • S/he will also be the one to let you know why your result is so disappointing -
  • An examination is needed.
  • If you have had children, the 'fat' is likely to be loose skin and muscle, making a tummy tuck necessary for improvement but I would hope your surgeon would have pointed this out before doing liposuction.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Visceral fat

Visceral fat is the fat inside the abdomen and over the organs. It creates abdominal girth. It is the fat that you can not pinch.

This is the sort of question that really requires a lot more information including pictures and surgery details. There are any number of variable that can affect a patient's perception of or actual post-operative result.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD