What should I buy to prepare for my Tummy Tuck and Breast Augmentation to make my recovery as easy as possible?

I would just like to know what things I should buy in advance for my tummy tuck and breast augmentation coming up in 4 weeks? What kind of clothes are best to wear post op? Things you can suggest to help the healing process and scaring? The most comfortable way to sleep? Where can I buy the sports bras that zip in front or post-op garments? Just anything that will help aid in the recovery process that I can prepare for in advance. Thanks Again!

Planning your Mommy Makeover Recovery

A Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.    

Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks. #MummyTummy is a term given to modified tummy tucks which can use liposuction and skin tightening with radiofrequency such Vanquish, Vela3, thermage, thermiRF and others.  The actual fat contouring can be done non-surgically as well with #UltraShape or Cool-Sculpting. Also some severe scars can be treated with re-excision, laser, kenalog/5-FU injections, creams, silicone strips and other methods to reduce and improve healing. Additionally, scar therapy with scar maturation products (e.g. BioCorneum or Embrace) are suggested for managing scars. However, we recommend you wait to use scar improving products until a few weeks following your surgery. 
As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain. 
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your surgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.

As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for until you have clearance from your surgeon. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

What Are Good Tummy Tuck and Breast Augmentation Preparation Tips?

1. For clothing, I tell my patients to get front-opening tops and elastic waist bands. No tight jeans. 
2. Ask your plastic surgeon for advice on bras and garments. He/she may have a favorite.
3. Clean your house thoroughly now. I'm surprised how many patients feel an urge to vacuum a week or two after surgery, and then they pull pull something. 
4. If you normally buy gallon-sized containers of milk or juice, scale down to quarts and pints. If your surgeon is like me, he/she will say no lifting for 6 weeks.
5. Stock up your kitchen with good food with lots of different fruits and vegetables and plenty of protein for healing. If you're ambitious, you could cook some dishes now and freeze them.
6. I tell my tummy tuck and breast augmentation patients to sleep either on a wedge of pillows to keep them elevated about 30 degrees or to sleep in a recliner.
7. Don't sleep with pets.
8. Don't touch your incisions with your fingernails. They're crawling with germs. 
9. Read all your plastic surgeons instructions thoroughly, and have your caretaker do the same. 
10. Follow all instructions. Complication rates are much higher in patients who don't follow instructions.

Click on the link below to see a video about drain care. (Don't worry, it features Royal Blue Blood!) Hope you enjoy it.

Good luck!

Heather J. Furnas, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Preparation for and abdominoplasty.

Since you'll be confined to the home for at least a couple of days make certain that you have food in the comfort you need. Ask your doctor about what dressings will be needed. You probably should have someone in attendance for a few days after the procedure for physical tasks.

Advance preparations for mommy make-over

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.

Your surgeon's office should be able to give you a lot of information but in addition -
  • Ask your surgeon about Exparel - a long lasting anesthetic injection that will make recovery easier,
  • You can buy sports bras on-line, via name stores (e.g. Macy's) or brand (e.g. Jockey).
  • Advance preparations - stock up on food, do laundry, fresh sheets, bottled water for bedside, tylenol, advil. moisturizer for lips, hands, tissues, for bedside and gauze, tape for bandages.
  • To hasten healing - don't smoke, eat lots of fresh fruit and vegetables.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Hope you found this answer helpful. Best wishes.

Discuss this question with your surgeon.   In general, front zip cotton bras are recommended after surgery, but not in all cases.  Sometimes,  bras are not recommended at all for 6 weeks.  Waist binders are almost always used after Tummy Tuck. Follow your surgeon's instructions for a great result! 

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

What should I buy

I would contact your surgeons office. Everyone has different pre and post operative instructions and reasons for them. Good luck, Dean Vistnes.

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon