Why are these woman's breast implants are so round and fake looking? Why/how did this result happen? (Photo)

So I've been looking at boobie photos to show what I like and don't like at my consultations, and man oh man, I'm come across some really round, fake looking one and I'm curious why do they look so different then the natural beautiful implants that I've been seeing. I DO NOT want my augmentation to turn out anything like this and these almost scare me away. How do they turn out like this???? BTW!!!--->The last photo I included is how I would assume breast augs look like now a days??

Breast augmentation

In general every patient looks different.  Going too big on top of the muscle will tend to give a faker look.  Being more conservative under the muscle will give a more natural look.  Obviously the women in the photos you show like the way they look and I actually have patients asking for the faker look.  I personally like you, prefer to try to keep things more natural.

Gary Hall, MD

Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Why do breast implants look fake?

There are many reasons why a breast implant may look unnatural.  In my experience, larger implants, those placed over the muscle, and high profile implants look less natural than smaller implants of a lower profile placed under the muscle.  The newer shaped silicone implants can also achieve a nice, natural shape, but for some patients aren't large enough to achieve the patient's size goals within the measurements of their breasts. 

It's great that you're spending time identifying photos that will help you clarify your goals your surgeon, but keep in mind that the results you achieve will be determined not only by your surgeon and the implant you choose, but also on the current size and shape of your breasts as well as the quality of your tissue. 

I suggest you choose your surgeon based on their experience and the photos they present to you.  Many surgeons have a "look" that they prefer, whether it be more natural or on the larger, faker side, which may be evident by the typical results they show in their before and after gallery.  You're more likely to achieve the natural look you want from a surgeon who shares your aesthetic goals.  Of course, you should make sure that the surgeon is board certified as well!

Best wishes!

Breast augmentation

It all depends on what your starting point is in terms of breast tissue, skin tone, over chest size shape, appearance and you interest in what you want to look like.

In breast augmentation I have chosen to spend time reviewing photographs with patients to fully understand their expectation of size and shape. Many times this simply raises more questions. I will make measurements and use the implant guides to allow the patient to understand exactly the sizes that are reasonable for their body type and measurements.

Please find an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and member of the Aesthetic Society using the Smart Beauty Guide. These Plastic Surgeons can guide you on all aspects of facial surgery, breast augmentation and body procedures including tummy tucks or mommy makeovers!

Don't want to look fake after breast augmentation

This issue comes up all the time during consultations. Some patients want the most natural look possible, where nobody can tell that surgery was done. On the other hand I have many patients who specifically tell me that they like the augmented look with large, round breasts that are very full in the upper pole. This is why our first job during your consult is to figure out what you want. A plan that would work for you may not make your friend very happy so we have to customize your surgery to fit your specific goals.

A few other things to consider. Everyone's anatomy is different. Patients who start with a B or C cup breast can easily get a very natural result because they have a good amount of breast tissue to cover the implant. On the other hand, they could decide to go very large and get a more "done" look. Patients who are very thin with little or no breast tissue to start with tend to have a much harder time achieving a natural look. When your breast is 90% implant it's going to look like a round implant. What you can do in these cases is to use the new anatomically shaped implants. These have a more natural, tear-drop shape that best resembles a natural breast contour. The size of the implants can also be a factor. Patients who favor larger, round implants will get large, round breasts. Many patients with this type of result are really happy with it. With smaller implants these can easily be converted to more natural appearing breasts. In fact, a large part of my practice is downsizing patients to implants that better fit their bodies.

One suggestion is for you to find a surgeon with a Vectra 3-D imaging system. This allows us to take a 3-d photo of your breasts, then use computer software to show you what you would look like with any of the implants available on the market. This can give you great insight as to what size and style implant will give you the look you want. Good luck.

Dr J

Justin West, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Why Do Some Implants Look So Fake and Round?

Good question, and don't assume that all breast augmentations today look natural. To some extent the overlarge, fake, round breast aug look (also known as porn star boobs) is in part a result of the pattern of breast implant in the U.S., that was initiated by the old sililicone gel breast implant controversy from the early 1990's. For more than two decades the only implants that could be used for primary augmentation were saline implants. Over time most surgeons used round saline implants because overall they produced the best results when used properly. But if you take a large round saline implant, overfill it, and in the most glaring examples, put it on top of the muscle, then the result, predictably, is round and fake. I don't recommend this approach, but patients occasionally come in asking for this look. Unfortunately in short time it often results in many negative consequences, thinned tissues, palpable or visible implant, visible rippling, pain, and implants that migrate south in a short period of time.

But one does not have to look fake, and there are new and better choices today. The new generation round silicone gel implants are much better devices and generally provide for a more natural feel, and more natural look, particularly for the person with little breast tissue. But even with these implants, a very large round gel implant can still look unnatural. For the person who is looking for the most natural result with a breast augmentation, fortunately we have available the latest generation of shaped silicone gel implants from Sientra. These implants have the ideal combination of a highly cohesive gel that gently imparts a very natural shape to the breast while at the same time being soft to the feel. Properly performed, an augmentation done with the new Shaped Sientra implants will overall give one the most consistently natural appearance. So don't be scared, be happy there are other options.

Natural look vs fake look after augmentation is patient choice

Women in the pictures that you included in your question chose this look because they like it.  You certainly can choose and have a natural look with your operation and it is possible.  It is an operation of personal choice. You make yours.  

Vasdev Rai, MD

I don't want implants that look like two melons on my chest.

You have asked a great question. The women in the photos may have wanted an unnatural look. However, I generally find that my patients want a natural look that does not look fake or obvious. An experienced and properly trained plastic surgeon should have the knowledge to help their patients in choosing the correct type of implant to achieve the look the patient wants. In my practice, for example, at the initial consultation I talk to my patients about what type of look they want to achieve with breast implants. Then I discuss the different options available. During the consultation we discuss options regarding types of implants, shapes of implants, and the placement of implants. I look at the patients frame, and take measurements and make suggestions of what direction they should go in order to achieve the look they want. You might ask friends, or if you know any nurses or your family doctor for a referral to a local Board Certified plastic surgeon. You can also go to asps.org to find a Plastic Surgeon in your area.

Francis X. Fleming, MD
Kennewick Plastic Surgeon

Results are often what the patient desires

and some people like fake looks and are very happy to show the world their results.  Others have very natural looks and this is often determined by type of implant, amount of soft tissue coverage and body dimensions.  Discuss your concerns with your surgeon and your surgeon should be able to help you achieve the end result you desire.

Curtis Wong, MD