Could having (past and future) Botox injections bring on a shingles outbreak?

I have just recovered from a bout with the illness in the uppermost area (head, forehead and eye) and mid-section (cheek down to my upper lip/teeth) of my face. I have had Botox injections to prevent wrinkles before, the last being about 6 months ago. I would like future treatments but am concerned that it could bring on another visit from this disease.

Botox and Shingles

I have seen Botox bring on a shingles activation.  I would discuss with your doctor.  This is definitely a concern.  Good luck.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Shingles and Botox

I have see botox help nerve pain post shingles and have seen it stimulate shingles.  It is likely not the botox itself though. I suggest you speak to your physician if you are concerned.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Botox and Shingles

Botox it's self has not been linked to a shingles outbreak. Interestingly though, trauma to the cranial area has been linked to shingles outbreak. This can be in the form of a bonk on the head or even an injection.  The CDC has estimated that 30% of people will experience shingles in their lifetime. This, as you know, is very painful. If you have experienced an outbreak of Shingles I would recommend getting the Zostavax.  This is available to anyone who has had a previous outbreak.

Botox and Shingles

A shingles outbreak would not correlate with a botox treatment. As long as the area is completely healed and the skin is healthy and intact you can have a botox treatment without fear of triggering a shingles outbreak.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Shingles not related to Botox

I really believe the shingles outbreak you experienced was coincidental to any Botox treatments that were administered prior to the shingles outbreak.  New Botox treatments should not cause any shingles reappearance.  If you are having multiple shingles outbreaks your immune system might be compromised and you should see your doctor.  Good luck with this.  Dr. Adrienne Stewart MD FAAD

Adrienne E. Stewart, MD
Denver Dermatologic Surgeon

It has not been shown to have a link to cause or contribute to development of Shingles.  Botox is a protein and shingles is caused by a virus that is already in your body from Chicken Pox exposure during childhood.  

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon

Can Botox cause a shingles outbreak.

Generally no.  Shingles can be precipitated by stress, sunburn, fatigue etc.  Coincidentally getting shingles after Botox injections could occur, but it is very low risk.  If you get a zoster outbreak then getting on medication will limit the impact.  In summary, it is not a high risk situation to occur, so if you want Botox, Xeomin, or Dysport wrinkle blockers then go for it.  Your injector will go over issues that preclude from getting Botox (becoming pregnant, having certain neurologic disorders-ALS, myasthenia etc.).  Best regards.

John R. Burroughs, MD
Colorado Springs Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox and shingles

There is no relationship between Botox and shingles. Shingles is a reactivation of your chicken pox virus and no relation to your previous injections and future injections will not bring it on again

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Botox and shingles

It could - anytime you introduce a needle into the area of prior shingles infection, you risk a reactivation of the virus.  If you really want to proceed with your treatment, ask your Dr. to pretreat you with Valtrex or Famvir tablets and you should be fine.

T.G. Khan, DO, FACS
Fort Lee Oculoplastic Surgeon

Shingles and Botox

Shingles is the result of a virus being reactivated.  Typically stress and fatigue bring on shingles.  Botox should have no interaction in terms of causing an outbreak.  Best, Dr. Green