Is Bupropion safe for me to take before surgery?

I'm scheduled for BA on 12/23/16. I was prescribed Bupropion today (11/22/16) to assist in my quiting of cigarettes, as my PS said I needed to be smoke free for 1 month. Can I take the Bupropion and still do my BA on 12/23/16? (P.S. My PCP did not recommend me taking Chantix. Therefore she prescribed Bupropion.)

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as welll.. The medication should not affect anything regarding your surgery. And stop smoking is extremely important. Avoid skin necrosis as much as you can!

Smoking

Great work and good thinking.

Stopping smoking is incredibly important.

Bupropion should not affect the anesthesia or the surgery.

Make sure your doctors are aware of any medications or herbals that you take.

Dr. Denkler

Congrats on quitting

Thats great that your serious about quitting smoking. Your body will begin to heal immediately once you stop. You should really ask your doctor about the bupropion before surgery. Some surgeon are very specific about which medications may be continued and which need to be stopped prior to surgery. Best of luck with your procedure!

~Dr. Sieber

Bupropion.

I think it's great that you're making a serious commitment to stop cigarettes and tobacco use. I cannot answer how your doctor is going to feel about the Bupropion, so you should check with him/her. I would let my patients do it, but this is nor advice for you since you're not my patient. Smoking is very bad for wounds and bad for breasts in the long-term, leading to exposure to toxins and free oxygen radicals. These in turn damage your skin can cause early sagging long-term. Best, Dr. ALDO

Aldo Guerra, MD

The cessation of smoking is critical and bupropion is reasonable.  Always disclose all medications you are taking.

Smoking and Plastic Surgery

Congratulations on quitting smoking.  Smoking is detrimental to the healing process after plastic surgery and detrimental to your health in general, so you have done the right thing by quitting.  

Let your surgeon and anesthesiologist know that you are taking buproprion before your surgery.  It should be okay but best to check with the physicians who are providing your care.

Jeff T. Healy, MD
Oahu Island Plastic Surgeon