MiraDry doesn't work for me. What should I do? (photo)

I had the 1st miraDry treatment done 2 weeks ago and I'm still sweating badly. Seems like I can have only 10-20% improvement. I am a hyperhidrosis patient. I'm really sad with the results as most people who did miraDry can enjoy the dryness and better life. What might be wrong with my case and is the result of 10-20% positive enough for me to do the second treatment. Can you please advise what are the reasons that miraDry doesn't work for me. Thank you so much!

MiraDry

I would highly recommend you getting a second miraDry treatment 3 months post your initial treatment.  Make sure your provider is treating you at the energy level 5.  Also, do your research, make sure your provider is well trained and has experience with this machine.  Perhaps the treatment area was too small on your initial treatment and they need to measure you again.  You can also request a iodine sweat test prior to your treatment.  Then, the provider can identify the area more accurately.  

Hope this helps.

MiraDry for Hyperhidrosis

I would ask the clinic what energy level they used for you. We always put the energy setting at 5 for the entire underarm, which is the highest level. About 90% of our patients need only a single treatment. The miraDry representatives say anther possible reason for minimal results in certain patients is that their sweat glands are located at a slightly different depth than the average person, making the miraDry device not target the glands directly. I hope this helps!

Harry Sharata, MD
Madison Dermatologic Surgeon

MiraDry still sweating.

Hyperhdirosis patients need more than one treatment. Normally, one treatment of MiraDry at level 5 yields about a 75-82% reduction in sweat and smell, but hyperhydrosis does not respond the same. I suggest you get a second treatment in 3 months and have an iodine-starch sweat test to compare the response objectively before and after the treatment. I would not be surprised with hyperhidrosis that a third treatment is necessary too. Best of luck,

Dr. ALDO :)

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Aldo Guerra, MD

MiraDry 2nd and 3rd procedures are a rare reality

In our practice 90% of our patients need only a SINGLE miraDry procedure at Level V.

One in 300 patients need a third procedure.

Hratch L Karamanoukian MD FACS

Hyperhydrosis

You most likely will require another and perhaps a third treatment.  We have found this happens more frequently with people who suffer from hyperhydrosis.

Barry N. Silberg, MD, FACS
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

MiraDry for Hyperhidrosis

I'm sorry you have not received the results you were hoping for.  In my practice I have found that patients with hyperhidrosis will need at least 2 treatments. 
Most patients have 50% reduction in sweat and odor after the first treatment, and another 30% reduction in a 2nd treatment, which can be performed 1-2 months later. Patients with moderate sweating typically need one treatment. Patients with severe sweating typically need two treatments to achieve optimal results. Few patients with severe sweating desire a third treatment.
I recommend you have the second treatment in a few months.  Good Luck!

Laurie A. Casas, MD, FACS

Hyperhidrosis Treatments

First let me say I'm so sorry you haven't had the improvement you expected! As someone who has specialized in the care of patients who suffer from hyperhidrosis, I have witnessed patients having a similar experience with other treatment modalities as well. Because the sweat glands of patients with severe hyperhidrosis can be so overactive, it actually may only take very few residual functioning sweat glands left after a normal therapy with Botulinum toxin or MiraDry to produce enough sweat to make it seem that there has not been significant improvement. For instance, if even a 1cm-sized area of skin is inadvertently missed with Botulinum treatment, the patient can produce enough sweat from those glands to make the underarm seem as if it has been untreated entirely! In your case, it may be that you had a very normal and successful treatment result, but your glands are individually producing enough sweat to make the overall result after this first treatment not what you had anticipated. If that is the case, a second or sometimes third treatment can make all the difference. Good Luck!

Samantha Hill, MD
Lynchburg Dermatologist