Are my armpits supposed to be very bruised after MiraDry procedure? (Photos)

I just got the miradry procedure done yesterday. I've been icing my axillary every 2-4hrs, but when I woke up this morning, my armpits looked worse than it did yesterday and parts of my armpits feel "hard" to the touch. Is this normal? I've also been taking Motrin 800mg q 6hrs.

Bruising after MiraDry

There are different reasons for this reaction.  If you are taking blood thinners such as aspirin, high dose garlic or are on medications to decrease clotting, this can frequently happen.  Sometimes different techniques of injection can cause more bruising.  Sometimes it is just bad luck.  Fortunately the bruising always goes away.

Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Bruising and Swelling after MiraDry?

What you're experiencing is normal. The suction on the miraDry, as well as the tumescent technique of your healthcare professional are the cause. The lumpiness is an expected outcome of the sweat and odor glands being destroyed, which is ultimately a good sign! You can keep up with the NSAIDs and ice, as well as, warm compresses and massage will also help the discomfort. 

Don't worry, your body will heal on it's own over 8 weeks. Be patient. 

#miradryaftereffects  #complications   #lumps

Bruising after Miradry

It can be common to experience bruising after miradry. The bruising will disappear but may take 10-14 days.Do not be concerned. The motrin is important to help reduce the swelling and inflammation, however it can be partially responsible for the bruising. 

Dr. Ravi Somayazula

Ravi Somayazula, DO
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Bruised after MiraDry

Your results are not at all abnormal. Bruising is common, although the degree varies tremendously between patients.No matter how much bruising there is, it will go away, so you can relax, there is nothing to worry about. The nodularity you feel is also very common, and represents the sweat and odor glands contracting down and fibrosing, but these will also go away over time. The bruising should reduce slowly over days, but the lumpiness and nodularity may take several weeks. Massage can certainly help, but is not necessary.Your treating office should have explained all these common post-treatment side effects to you, or at least provided you with adequate post-treatment instructions.

Craig Schwartz, DO
Leawood Vascular Surgeon

MiraDry bruising and post procedure lumpiness

It is a bit excessive but some patients bruise more than others. 

I would take ibuprofen for pain and discomfort and citrus bioflavonoids to reduce tissue swelling and lumpiness.

Read my ebook about citrus bioflavonoids on the link below.

Dr H Karamanoukian

Bruising post MiraDry

Bruising and swelling post MiraDry is common.  It is important to continue icing and start massaging the armpits to break down any scar tissue.  In our practice, we found it helpful to have patients come in for massages every few days. 

We also recommend the following post procedure:
- A non-prescription anti-inflammatory medication such as ibuprofen will reduce the normal inflammation and discomfort that usually occurs for a few days after the procedure
- Keep your underarms clean while they are healing from the procedure. Use gentle liquid soap to cleanse the underarms twice a day. 
- Avoid shaving until the tenderness has subsided enough for your comfort level
- Avoid applying antiperspirant/deodorant within the first few days. Do not apply over any broken skin, such as nicks from shaving.
- Wear a loose top for the next few days to prevent underarm irritation. Avoid vigorous activity for the next few days
- Apply an over-the-counter antibiotic ointment to prevent infection

Good Luck!

Laurie A. Casas, MD, FACS