Are Visible Facial Veins a Sign of Thinning Skin?

i'm 15 almost 16. from last year, blue-green veins started appeared under my eyes. they are pretty thick. thin red-purple ones are all over my cheeks, under my eyes, and eyelids. i don't know what's happening and i'm scared that my skin is thinning.

Doctor Answers 6

Vein Treatment

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

This sounds like vascular proliferation for an unknown reason. See a Board Certified Dermatologist or Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to assess the problem.

Too young to worry about thinning skin

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


At your age, thinning skin isn't something you should be concerned about.  Vessels can become more pronounced with certain skin conditions (Rosacea, etc) and sun damage, or in the case of large vessels around the eye, if you are very thin they may be more noticeable as well.  You would be best served by consulting with a dermatologist that can advise you about your skin and what you can do to treat what's there and prevent new issues.

Good luck~

Dr. Grant Stevens   

Are Facial Veins a Sign of Thinning Skin

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hi anon.  It's more likely that the appearance of facial veins is related to a hereditary condition like Rosacea than thinning skin.

Best way to find out more is visit a dermatologist to have a look.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD
Los Angeles Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.4 out of 5 stars 7 reviews

Visible Facial "Veins" in a 16 year old

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I agree with Dr. Placik. Facial aging is VERY rare at your age. There are other much more common reasons for what you may be experiencing (Rosacea etc). See a good Dermatologist.

Peter A. Aldea, MD
Memphis Plastic Surgeon

Visible blue veins and thin skin:

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

AT your age, you should not be experiencing thinning skin. Discuss your concerns with your dermatolgist or ophthalmologist to ensure that no other problem is responsible for your observations

Proliferation of varicose veins under the eyes in a 15 year old

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I would start with your pediatrician or pediatric dermatologist and thereafter get an opinion from a vein specialist. 

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.