Does skin on legs after Liposuction ever firm up with exercise?

I have fat around my knees and thighs that I've never been able to rid . I would lose fat in areas I don't want to lose.I would like Liposuction but worried that skin would sag and be wrinkly. I'm 58 .. Would that be the case?

Knee and thigh liposuction - will skin be loose

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.
  • Liposuction can leave skin loose -
  • It depends on how much fat is removed and the elasticity of your skin.
  • But women older than you can have leg liposuction with good results -
  • The best approach is to see a plastic surgeon to see if your skin and the fat you want removed will be a good fit with liposuction.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift…

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Leg Contouring / Skin Laxity on Legs and Knees -- VASER, ThermiRF, Venus Legacy, Thermage, Ultherapy, Exilis Ultra

VASER hi definition liposuction is best for contouring, sculpting and skin tightening. Liposuction of the legs requires meticulous skill and technique, I would suggest consulting with an expert. Excess skin can be removed during the procedure, or improved with ThermiRF or other devices that tighten skin. Best, Dr. Emer

Skin retraction after liposuction

Thanks for posting your question on RealSelf!
Choosing the best liposuction candidates is key to having excellent outcomes. Liposuction removes excess fatty tissue beneath the skin and relies on the skin to retract afterwards. The answer to your question lies in the quality of your skin. Making an appointment with a reputable board certified plastic surgeon is recommended. A fair amount of attention should be paid to assessing your skin and discussion of your expected outcome should be conducted. Sometimes the treatment for loose skin (excision) will be more successful in helping you achieve your goals-the tradeoff is a scar. 

Rachel Streu, MD

Skin tightening after liposuction

Typically, after liposuction, the skin contracts. If you have good quality skin, without stretch marks, your skin has enough elastic properties to contract and firm up. This is the case for the legs as well. If too much fat is removed, then there is the risk sagging and being wrinkly. Also consider nonsurgical methods for fat reduction in the lower extremities, that can also firm skin, like Vanquish. Best to meet with a board certified plastic surgeon for an in-person consultation. 

You cannot exercise your skin.  Exercise will not change your skin tone.  Exercise will tone your muscles and if exercise enlarges your muscles the skin may appear tighter and more youthful. 
Improvement of actual skin tone is the Holy Grail of plastic surgery.  If anyone finds it, please let me know!

Lisa Lynn Sowder, MD