I'm 267 pounds and my height is 5' 6 am i too big for liposuction?

Liposuction/ Liposculpture/ Vaser/ Hi Definition Procedures

Thank you for your question. For health and safety reason, best to be at a BMI less than 30 or within 10 pounds of your goal weight and stable at that weight for 6 months prior to surgery for optimal results. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Liposuction - Weight loss First

Thank you for your question. I believe it is best to be within 15 pounds of your ideal body weight prior to surgery for optimal results. Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in body contouring for an in-person examination. Ask to see a lot of before and after pictures of their work to understand what can be achieved. Hope this helps and good luck.

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift…

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Too big for surgery?

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately you are overweight for surgery. Being overweight puts you at higher risk for surgical and post-surgical complications.  I advised my patients to lose weight first and to get down to their stable, goal weight prior to performing surgery.  If you cannot lose weight through diet and exercise, bariatric surgery may be an option.  Best regards.

Liposuction - am I too big?

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.
  • Let's consider what benefit you want from a liposuction -
  • You are more than 100 pounds overweight and it would be great to be slimmer.
  • A gastric bypass is likely to do that and is the preferred treatment - you could lose 100 pounds or more.
  • Liposuction is much easier to have done although at your weight, you are at risk of bleeding
  • (Heavy people have much larger veins and great care has to be taken with your liposuction._
  • If you have it done - this is what it will do -
  • It will remove no more than 10 pounds of fat but in specific areas. At your weight, probably just the tummy before the 5L safe limit is reached.
  • That area will permanently be slimmer - but you soon regain the fat in a new body area unless you lose weight.
  • Liposuction can be motivating - and I have had an occasional very heavy person have liposuction,then start eating less, exercising a lot and in six months they've lost 50 pounds and look and feel great.
  • But usually - it doesn't work out that way and the person has spent a lot of money to change their proportions but without solving the underlying problem.
  • So you decide what is best for you.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Size

No, you are not too big for liposuction, but do need to be realistic about what liposuction can and cannot do. It is not a weight loss procedure and will not stop you from gaining weight. However, it can remove excess fat in many areas, and might motivate you to continue a weight loss program. I would suggest meeting with a board certified plastic surgeon and discussing your options.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

I would recommend you follow a healthy diet and exercise regimen until you reach your desired goal weight. This weight should be one where you are comfortable at, and can maintain, as weight fluctuations will affect your long-term results.  At your current weight liposuction will be of little benefit and its results will be equivocal.  Any weight loss performed naturally will not only be in your best interest from a safety point of view, but also in obtaining the best cosmetic results once you are a surgical candidate.  Hope this helps.  

Liposuction and obesity

Liposuction is not a weight loss procedure but, instead, a method of body contouring.  It removes only a token amount of fat relative to your size.  Very few obese patients are candidates for liposuction and the recommendation is for a weight loss program, possibly including bariatric surgery. Best wishes,Dr Kraft