Would anatomical implants give me better end results vs. round? (Photos)

I have been researching breast augmentation for a while now, and I am looking for your expert opinion on which implants would give me the most natural results with cleavage! I am 24, 5'5 115lbs wearing 32B, no kids. I don't have much volume especially in the upper chest area. I really like the idea of the ideal implant, but am torn between round and anatomical. I wish to go to a C or D.

Round vs Anatomical Implants?

Your appear to be a petit individual without a lot of breast tissue and, as you noted, you don't have much tissue volume in your upper chest. The person who benefits most from an anatomical or teardrop shape is someone who has very little breast tissue. This type of implant will look far more natural on someone with little breast tissue, whereas a round implant can look more like a round ball on your chest particularly if you choose a larger implant or higher profile implant.

When you say you want "cleavage" it is not always clear what a person has in mind. In general people think of this as narrowing the space between the breasts and greater fullness in the upper inner portion of the breast. An anatomic implant will give you more cleavage as it will accomplish both of these things, and potentially extend a bit higher up your chest wall. If you are imagining bust out of your bra eye popping cleavage then an anatomic implant will not achieve that and you would be better off with a round implant. Just remember that that is not a particularly natural look.

Because anatomic implants have a teardrop like shape they must have a textured surface so that the implant adheres to your tissues and maintains the appropriate position. While it is theoretically possible for an anatomic implant to rotate, in practice this almost never occurs when the surgery is performed by a skilled and experienced plastic surgeon. In the Sientra core study of Six thousand patients there was zero percent rotation of anatomic or shaped implants. Because of the adherence from the textured surface, these implants due tend to move less than smooth surface implants but it would be correct to say that they are stuck in place. They do have some movement, just not as much as a smooth implant and in some situations this can be a real benefit. Anatomic implants are filled with a highly cohesive gel which can be more firm than earlier generations of silicone gel but this is very dependent on implant manufacturer. The look and feel of the anatomic implant can be described as a very youthful sort of breast which tends to be somewhat more firm and is less mobile.

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question. The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.   Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness). Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion. Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume. These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak. During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon

Round implants

I do not recommend anatomical implants do due the problems of rotational deformity. Moderate plus implants under the muscle will be safe choice 

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

Which Implant?

Thank you for your question and providing photos. Based on the photos provided I believe you are a very good candidate for breast augmentation surgery. I believe you would be better served with sub muscular placement and a silicone implant. Both round and non round implants can give you a natural look to the breast. I would recommend you consult with a BC PS who could discuss the pro's and con's of each type of breast implant with you. Best of luck

Choosing the best breast implant for a patient

Hello and thank you for posting your question and photos!Choosing the proper breast implant to achieve natural results in our patients is one of the most important aspects of breast augmentation surgery. Your plastic surgeon should take into account your unique measurements (base diameter is the key word here), the quantity and position of your existing breast tissue, and the quality of your skin.  Recommendations for implant styles and sizes from this point should be very much determined by the above and then by your desires for look. 
Anatomically shaped implants are advantageous in patients who are thin with less native breast tissue because they can, theoretically, create the natural breast shape . They require special procedural considerations and, usually, the use of a drain. They can create a very natural shape as well. I have attached a web reference for your review.
Best of luck in finding a reputable, board certified, plastic surgeon to undergo your journey with!

Rachel Streu, MD

Would anatomical implants give me better end results vs. round?

Thank you for your pictures and questions. This is a very common question I get from patients regarding implant options for breast augmentation. And I bet you are going to get a wide variety of answers here. While either implant type is an option for most patients, I really think the anatomical implants are best in patients who are very thin (like you) or who are not looking for much upper pole fullness. You need to really zero in on what you want....you say that you want a "natural" result, but then you say you want cleavage and volume "especially in the upper chest area," and in my opinion, neither of those goals are "natural." Based on my evaluation of your pictures, if you are really looking for truly natural results, someone like you would get an excellent outcome with an anatomical implant. However, if you are just saying you want it to be natural but you really want upper pole fullness and cleavage, then you just need to admit to yourself that those are really not natural type goals and go with a standard round implant that will give you those results.Best of luck!

Thank you for the question.You have good baseline anatomy and should do well with breast augmentation. There are downsides to shaped implants, such as rotation and a textured surface that decreases the natural movement of the implant. The gel is typically firmer also.You can have a nice result with both implants, but I typically use a smooth round silicone implants. An implant that is sized based on your breast measurements and tissue characteristics will give you a more natural appearance. Unfortunately, cleavage depends on your natural anatomy and cannot be created during a breast augmentation surgery, when the implants are placed under the muscle. After surgery, a push up bra can be used when cleavage is desired.

Would anatomical implants give me better end results vs. round

Cleavage without a bra will not be achieved with most breast implants unless they are placed on top of the muscle and are very large. I round implant will give you a fuller look on the upper part of the breast. That is what most women under the age of 30 have, if they have not had children. Once they get a little older the breast shape in a patient without implants gets a more natural slope. So whether you will be natural in appearance depends on whether you want that persistent upper pole fullness in later years. If you do, then use round implant and accept the un-natrual look. If you wan t your breast to look as they do now, just larger, then the anatomical implant is the better choice.

Julio Garcia, MD

What Type of Implant Should I Use, Round or Shaped?

Thank you for your question about implant shape.  Some patients have a choice of implants because their breasts make them good candidates for either.  Other patients are a better candidate for one implant shape over the other.In your case, you can have a beautiful result with either round or shaped implants.  The round implant will give you more fullness in the upper breast area, but you can maintain a natural look depending on the implant size and profile you select with your doctor.  The shaped implants will look quite natural with more volume in the lower breast.  The best approach is to see a plastic surgeon who is skilled at both types of implants and can show you results of patients with your breast shape who have achieved results which you like.   Know the advantages and disadvantages of each type of implant.  Best wishes!

Stephen Bresnick, MD

Cleavage, ie the closeness of the breasts, has to do with implant placement, not shape. Your anatomy is the biggest predictor of how close the implants can be placed.  The anatomicals can give you a very pretty look if you don't want much upper fullness, but they stick in place and have no movement so not very realistic. Otherwise go with the round overfilled silicone implants like the Natrelle inspira. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD