Liposuction and breast implant recovery; is this true?

Hi, I am planning on getting breast augmentation and moderate liposuction done in a month or so. Although doctors indicate that the recover will be a week to 10 days, a friend indicated to me that the recovery period is about a month where I will be in tremendous pain for nearly a month and will need assistance showering and going to the bathroom for at least 2 weeks; Is this true?

Plan on a Week to 10 Days for Recovery

Please be aware that my comments here are general and can’t be taken as specific medical advice. At my practice, I tell patients to plan on taking a week off from work after liposuction targeting the abdomen or thighs. Recovery following breast augmentation varies. It would be unusual to be in tremendous pain for almost a month after these procedures, or to need assistance going to the bathroom or showering for 2 weeks, though every patient is individual with respect to pain tolerance and recovery. Persistent pain for weeks should prompt a visit to your surgeon to insure you are healing as expected, and do not have an infection or other complication. It is important to follow the postoperative instructions provided by your surgeon. Good luck with your procedure.

Recovery after breast implant and liposuction

Postoperative recovery is different for every single patient. However having said that a month of severe postoperative pain is extremely unusual.In my practice my patients are good to work and do most of their activities after a week. Swelling in both the breast and the areas of suction can take several months. The compression garment is worn for a month. However patients are able to do their activities of daily living within 5 to 7 days in almost all cases.  If you are especially concerned you should discuss this with your surgeon rather than relying on the Internet forums or your friends. He or she will best be able to give you advice on how their patients respond

Andrew Kaczynski, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Recovery after lipo and BA

Hello, everybody recovers uniquely after surgery.  In my experience most people are off narcotic pain medications and doing most of their activities of daily living within a week, but some people do have more prolonged pain.  It is uncommon in my practice for people to still be receiving assistance a month after surgery.  Please clarify your activity restrictions with your surgeon.

Recovery after liposuction and breast augmentation.

You should feel quite confident that you will be uncomfortable, but certainly quite functional after about five days. You could even consider getting back to work were gentle exercising by this time.

Ira H. Rex lll, MD
Fall River Plastic Surgeon

Pain

Most patients need assistance the first night to a few days. By the end of the first week, most are not taken pain medication. By 6 weeks, most have resume full activities. If you are having tremendous pain at one month, please let your surgeon check you.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant and liposuction recovery - a week or a month?

Thank you for asking about your liposuction and breast implant recovery.
  • A lot depends on the size and position of your breast implants -
  • If they go under the muscle you willl hurt a lot for 3 - 5 days, often longer.
  • If you have large implants, you can hurt for a month or even more.
  • Implants over the muscle do not hurt as much - and smaller implants do not hurt as much.
  • It is important to ask your surgeon what to expect realistically for your surgery.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Never heard of needing assistance with showering and going to the bathroom for at least two weeks after either procedure. You will feel sore (especially if the implants are put under the muscle) and the areas you have liposuctioned will also be bruised and sore. My patients take ibuprofen and wear their compression garment after lipo and should be back at work in a week's time max. Best to ask your operating surgeon, however, because everyone utilizes a different technique and recovery time may be slightly different. Good luck!!

Long recovery after breast augmentation and liposuction?

Thank you for your question. I certainly can appreciate your concerns. Most patients do not experience "tremendous pain" after liposuction. Certainly there is soreness, but one is still typically able to carry out ones activities of daily life, showering, toileting, etc. After breast augmentation, again, there is soreness as your body accommodates to the presence of the implant, typically under the chest wall muscle, but again, the pain is not debilitating. Discuss your concerns with your surgeon. it is best to have some help for the first day or two after surgery, but you should not expect a prolonged painful recovery period. Best of luck to you,

Recovery after breast augmentation and moderate liposuction

Thank you for your question.  I am not sure why your friend said it would take that long?  It usually takes one week for many of my patients to be back at work.   Some may take up to 10 days even with moderate liposuction. I am not sure how much liposuction and what areas are being liposuctioned but typically you are still looking at a week to ten days.

Chad Robbins, MD

Recovery

Hello, a month sounds a bit much for the majority of patients. With an Augmentation and a small amount of liposuction, I would expect you will be sore and slow for a week or so, but tremendous pain for a month would be abnormal. Good Luck.