I am using Minoxidil 5% for hair loss. Now I started PRP for the same. Can I stop using Minoxidil? (Photo)

I am 26 male. Experiencing hairfall for last four years and a major part of my scalp was bald. Now i have gone through hair transplant, and also i did PRP. But for the rest of my hair a dermotologist suggested to use minoxidil 5% when another one adviced not to use it as it has to be used life long and has some side effects and also the hairfall will return in case i could not use it for some time in future. And he suggested that PRP is enough. So can i stop minoxidil and PRP will be enough?

Minoxidil, or PRP Alone are Not Enough to Prevent Further Hair Loss after a Transplant, but a PRP Combination Treatment Can

Thank you for your question. I understand you’re 26-years-old and experiencing hair loss over the last four years. You underwent a hair transplant and are conflicted about contradictory recommendations you received from two different dermatologists with regard to maintenance and prevention of your hair loss. One doctor says you should take minoxidil, while the other says that you should have platelet-rich plasma treatment instead.
I can certainly help you with your concern. To give you a little information about myself — I am a Board-certified cosmetic surgeon and a Fellowship-trained oculofacial plastic and reconstructive surgeon, practicing in Manhattan and Long Island for over 20 years. I am a hair specialist and have been performing both surgical and non-surgical hair restoration procedures for many years. I am the founder of TrichoStem™ Hair Regeneration centers which offer an alternative non-surgical treatment for pattern baldness in both men and women. The treatment uses platelet-rich plasma, extracellular matrix, vitamin D, and other methods that we have developed and customized over the years for every individual patient. As such, the question you pose is certainly something we deal with on a daily basis.
If you have lost enough hair to the point that you moved ahead with a hair transplant, clearly there has to be some way for you to keep the existing hair you have. There are two medical options for this: finasteride and minoxidil. Finasteride is a pill that you take once a day. It prevents the enzyme called 5-alpha reductase from converting testosterone to dihydrotestosterone. It has been the go-to method of treatment for male pattern hair loss sufferers since about 1997. Unfortunately, due to its potential long-term sexual side effects it causes in men, many have abandoned this option. Minoxidil is a topical treatment that stimulates short-term hair growth but does not stop hair loss progression. As a result, we see patients who have been on minoxidil for more than 20 years who still end up practically bald.
This brings us to platelet-rich plasma. I use platelet-rich plasma in my practice for many indications, such as the improvement of dark under eye circles, skin quality and texture, acne scars, and fine lines and wrinkles. Platelet-rich plasma is also used to help treat hair loss; however, using this material alone has some variability in long-term benefit. Patients who undergo platelet-rich plasma as a standalone treatment will be on a regularly scheduled treatment that occurs once a month.
Usually, by the fourth treatment, many patients find their way to our office because of a treatment we offer called Hair Regeneration. Hair Regeneration also uses platelet-rich plasma combined with Acellular matrix in order to treat pattern hair loss. With this treatment, we are able to sustain five years of growth after one treatment session. Some patients with more severe hair loss can have a second treatment done somewhere between 15 to 18 months, but this is not absolutely required.
Hair Regeneration has been so successful that people from all over the world come to our offices just to receive this treatment. Hair Regeneration is also not comparable to minoxidil, nor does the treatment require the support or supplementation of any other hair loss drug. As such, our patients can opt to stop using minoxidil after Hair Regeneration treatment.
The reality is that medical options for hair loss remain extremely limited, and many dermatologists are simply using the best of their knowledge and experience to work past this. Interestingly, when we developed Hair Regeneration, we actually filled a very important void between hair loss medication and surgery.
In your case, because you had hair transplant surgery at such a young age, it is important you hold on to the existing hair you have as much as possible. Otherwise, you may eventually run out of donor area when you need another hair transplant in a few years. I suggest you meet with a hair specialist and learn more about Hair Regeneration and similar treatments. I realize I have introduced another concept aside from platelet-rich plasma and minoxidil, but the success of this treatment, which has helped so many people in our practice, is simply too exciting to not share with people who are looking for hair loss solutions.
I hope that was helpful and I wish you the best of luck!
This personalized video answer to your question is posted on RealSelf and on YouTube. To provide you with a personal and expert response, we use the image(s) you submitted on RealSelf in the video, but with respect to your privacy, we only show the body feature in question so you are not personally identifiable. If you prefer not to have your video question visible on YouTube, please contact us.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Hair loss -- PRP, Progesterone, Viviscal, Rogaine, Finesteride

Hair loss needs a combination approach for improvement, I suggest continuining all medications and adding progesterone.  Best, Dr. Emer.