Is ultrasound an effective treatment for capsular contraction?

i have developed mild capsular contraction in my left breast has told by my surgeon 6 weeks ago, i have been doing massage techniques on the breast and i have noticed it has reduced slighty but still distorted at the top of the breast do you think ultra sound therapy would also work or would i need my implant replaced

Nonsurgical Treatment for Capsular Contracture

Ultrasound and massage as nonsurgical treatments for mild cases of capsular contracture may be worth pursuing, as long as you understand that there is little research to support the effectiveness of either technique. The idea behind both treatments is that they break up the scar tissue that attaches to the capsule (i.e., the tissue housing your implant). Capsular contracture occurs when that scar tissue thickens and contracts around the implant. In most patients, the capsule is a soft, pliable sheet of scar tissue. For more advanced stages of capsular contracture, surgery to remove the capsule is the only effective treatment. Good luck to you.

Effective treatment for capsular contraction

You should first try to intervene with capsular contracture by massaging the area or taking in supplements before resorting to mechanical methods.

Charles Nduka, MD
London Plastic Surgeon

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well, let your surgeon evaluate you, in these type of cases it is better an implant exchange.

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Capsular contracture

I have found the massage to be the most effective. It must be done regularly and with appropriate firmness. You can be too soft or too hard. Work with your plastic surgeon to come up with the appropriate treatment for you.

Tracy E. McCall, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Capsuar Contracture

Early interventions such as supplements and massage can be effective for capsular contracture. Best to continue to follow up with your Plastic Surgeon and let them  advise you.

All the best

Capsular contracture six wees after surgery

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.

• I am sorry to hear of this early capsular contracture -
  • It is very unusual since the process of scar contraction usually takes at least six months.
  • Is your surgeon sure this is not surgical swelling or an implant that has not yet settled?
  • If your surgeon is sure this is capsular contracture, it is worth trying ultrasound therapy.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

May help

I have found U/S assisted with massage to resolve or soften some CC especially if the treatment was started early.  In my practice, I have a CC protocol for massage and use the Aspen system.

If the CC is long standing, it is ineffective.

Best Wishes,

Nana Mizuguchi, MD

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS

Early capsular contracture

Hello and sorry you're having some post operative issues.  This is a complicated question.

If your doctor is concerned about early contracture, early massage, and sometimes ultrasound therapy such as ASPEN ultrasound has been tried.  Others may attempt closed capsulotomy, which can be painful and is an older technique.  If early enough, there is some evidence that Accolate or Singulair may help the smooth muscle in the capsule relax.

However, it is important to know that if true contracture develops, you will probably need capsule removal and replacement of your implant.  It is a challenging issue to discuss with patients - the scar/contracture rate and pattern is very different from patient to patient and we can't always tell beforehand who is at risk for this.

Ultrasound is a harmless technique, but there is no guarantee it can improve your contracture.  If your PS is recommending it, it's probably worth a shot as the risk is low.

Christopher C. Chang, MD 

Washington DC, Maryland, and Virginia