How is it possible to go down in band size? E.g. 34 to 32?
Doctor Answers 6
Breast augmentation and bra band size
Decrease in band size of bra
Would be difficult
I can see if you lose significant weight that it might change your band size.
Nana Mizuguchi, MD
You might also like...
Breast augmentation - how does it affect bra band size
- There are lots of reasons that a women might go down a band size after breast augmentation -
- Change in bra style or manufacturer is the most common.
- The size of the implant, making the cup larger, can pull rib skin tighter.
- Wearing a bra that is old - and the band is stretched.
- And yes, as you suggested, weight loss too.
- Bra sizes are not scientific and there is great variation
- Most important - whatever the size, the fit should be comfortable.
- Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Bra sizes are unreliable
You raise a good point about bra sizes. It is important to take in to account the back size and this is unlikely to change following breast augmentation. It may go up a bit with swelling or down a bit with weight loss, but broadly speaking it should be about the same.
Having said that, people often wear the wrong bra size and a 32C would probably fit a patient who was actually 34D. So in your example, the patient may have wanted to be a D cup but then come back to clinic saying that she was only a 32C (having been a 34B), when in fact she should be comparing it with the same back size ie 34D.
The main thing is that the bra fits and is comfortable and not so much what the actual cup size is. I hope that this brings some clarity to it (although I accept that it is perhaps not the most crystal clear answer!).