Ulthera - Are Welts a Normal Side Effect?

I made an appointment for two weeks from now and my provider says that welts that can take a couple of weeks to resolve are not uncommon. I would like to hear from providers who have experience with this new laser - is this true?

Welts from Ultherapy

Our experience is that welts are the result of sound waves bouncing off of bone and depositing the ultrasound energy too superficially in the skin.  Because Ultherapy allows us to see the level of the bone before we treat the area, we have found that this problem is completely avoidable. 

Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Welts are certainly possible after Ulthera but not very common.  We tend to see them more often when we treat our patients with the superficial 1.5mm transducer.  They are temporary and will go away in a few days to a few weeks depending on the severity.

Victoria Karlinsky, MD
Manhattan General Surgeon

Ultherapy welts are short-lived (if you even get one)

Isolated welts (small discrete bumps) can develop after Ultherapy treatment, but it is by far the exception rather than the norm in the patients I have treated. They seem to appear when the treatment was delivered a little too superficially in the skin. In the handful of situations where I have had this happen, it has occurred when the patient moved a little bit during the delivery of the treatment. Regardless, if ice is applied immediately, the welts tend to resolve very quickly. The longest that I have seen one last is about 1 week. Even then, it was not particularly noticeable to anyone beside the patient and myself.

Hope this helps!

Dr. Y

Haresh Yalamanchili, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling / Welts after Ulthera can happen but go away quickly

Occasionally, a person which has Ulthera can have overall swelling which is very short lived.  Sometimes bruising can occur and present with firmness under the skin.  Visible dermal swelling/welts can occur if the ultrasonic skin injury occurs too superficial.  It can occasional have a little fluid like a cyst or pimple, but will resolve within about 5 days. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Welts after Ultherapy - a normal side effect

It is not uncommon to experience swelling for a few days to weeks following the procedure. Tingling, soreness and tenderness to touch for a few weeks following the procedure are not uncommon and a normal part of the healing process.

Small areas of bruising, welts or numbness are also a normal side effect of this procedure and will resolve in a matter of days.

Welts after Ultherapy

Hi and thanks for your question.  I rarely see welts after Ultherapy.  If they do appear, I give the patient an ice pack to place over the welt and it resolves quickly without any longterm issue. 

Jonathan Pontell, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Welts from Ulthera

It is not uncommon to have very small welts from the 1.5 mm transducer that is used to treat fine lines. They typically resolve within a coupld of days to a week.

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD

Welts after Ultherapy

Small red welts can appear on the skin after an Ultherapy treatment, but they usually resolve very quickly and are typically few in number.  

Timothy G. Rodgers, MD, FAAD
Frisco Dermatologist

Welts Rare to Occur with Ultherapy But Will Disappear Quickly

Adverse events to Ulthera are fairly uncommon — less than 1% or so. However, if the energy is delivered too superficially, small welts where the lines should have been given on the skin surface may occur, and they follow the lines outlines. This is rare and is from the transducer which gives the energy to the skin, not being placed properly on the skin. Make sure the provider is someone who understands this technology. The good news — welts go away fairly quickly and should not leave any long-term effects.

Michael Gold, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Ultherapy Welts

The occurrence of welts following Ultherapy is heat related but very uncommon. However, even if they do appear they generally resolve within a short period of time. This can be as little as a few hours to several days.

Bryan G. Forley, MD