14 days post FUE hair transplant. Is my donor area "overharvested"? (photos)

I have underwent a 4500 graft FUE hair transplant 14 days ago. My donor area is still red but I am quite concerned now that my donor area has been overharvested which may lead to a permanent hair thinning. What makes things worse is the redness and you can see that the boundaries of the donor area are sharply demarcated. Is it possible that the hair in this area will grew thicker and, after the redness is improved, the donor area will completely blend within the surrounding regions?

Overharvested donor area?

Since your procedure was only 14 days ago it is way too early to accurately predict what your donor area will ultimately look like-it takes up to a year for the donor area to fully heal and grow back.I suspect you are not yet overharvested but would be very careful if you have another procedure or procedures.

Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

Overharvesting

There's no way to tell so early on. A typical donor area would be able to give more than that so 4500 isn't too concerning of a number, assuming you had a typical donor area. If it isn't overharvested it may be difficult to have another transplant in the future should your hair continue thinning. I would guess that it's probably not overharvested, but you just have to wait for it to grow out to see.

Sean Behnam, MD
Santa Monica Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair Transplant Donor region

At just 14 days post op from your hair transplant it is too early to judge your donor region. It should thicken up in the coming weeks. 

Baubac Hayatdavoudi, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

It is possible that your donor area was over harvested. 4500 graft FUE is a very significant (high) number.

It is possible that your donor area was over harvested.  4500 graft FUE is a very significant (high) number.  It may be too early to tell so follow up with your doctor.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

4500 grafts

This number of grafts can be over harvested grafts. Over-harvesting occurs when the donor density is not significantly above average but the grafts harvested are high

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Over harvesting after an FUE

With any transplant the goal is to manage the donor, you can't use it all at once.  Another objective of an FUE is to leave the donor looking as good as the recipient area, with minimal indication that a transplant has occurred.  Its really difficult to tell IF the donor was over harvested without an evaluation in person.  In addition, at 14 days you could be experiencing shock loss as well.  Some of that hair can come back.

Justin Misko, MD
Lincoln Hair Restoration Surgeon

Over Harvesting Is A Problem with FUE

You raise a good question for the Real Self community about over harvesting and limits. It is difficult to say specifically about your case (without examining you in person) but harvesting of strong donor area is important to obtain good results in both the donor area as well as the recipient area. Carefully choosing a full-time hair restoration is most important to avoid a bad hair transplant result.

Brian Goertz, MD
Seattle Hair Restoration Surgeon