Tummy Tuck/C Section Recovery Similar?

i was wondering if the recovery was almost like the recovery as a C section?

Tummy Tuck-C Section Recovery About the Same

During the Tummy Tuck no incision is made through the abdominal muscle as is done during a C-section. Thus for a Mini Tummy Tuck the recovery can be easier than with a C-section.

However when a Full Tummy Tuck with repair of the muscles is done the recovery can be about the same as with a C-section.

Tummy tuck and C-section recovery are similar

Generally speaking a tummy tuck recovery is similar to a C-section recovery.  However, since a C-section incision goes much deeper than a tummy tuck incision, the C-section tends to hurt a bit more. A tummy tuck involves only muscle tightening, whereas a C-section incision goes through the muscle which is more painful. I recommend consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon for more detailed information.Best wishes, Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Tummy tuck and c-section recovery are similar

I have found that a C-Section is a good "barometer" for what to expect with a tummy tuck in terms of recovery and discomfort.  Most patients find it somewhat less uncomfortable as far as pain than a C-Section.  In a C-Section the abdominal muscles are often divided and there is more pain related to that.  A tummy tuck raises the tissues off of the fascia or "covering" of the muscles and also "tightens" the covering of the muscles. 

Tummy tuck

I often compare the recovery of a tummy tuck to a C-section and believe the tummy tuck is easier in most cases. A lot of it has to do with the extent of muscle work which needs to be done. The more your muscles need to be tightened, the more pain there will be after surgery, but in almost all cases, it is still an easier recovery than a C-section.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Mini Tummy Tuck Recovery

Many patients think that the recovery from a mini tummy tuck will be a prolonged, painful and arduous, but if a rapid recovery, NO Drain protocol is used, the recovery from a mini tummy tuck or a full tummy tuck is usually about the same, 24 to 36 hours.

The recovery is usually faster than a C-section since most ObGyn doctors will follow older recovery protocols for recovery.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck/C Section Recovery Similar?

Thank you for the question. As you can imagine, every patient will have a different experience when it comes to discomfort (and overall healing process) after tummy tuck surgery. Generally, most patients will report that the recovery process is similar to recovering after C-section. Anecdotally, when I have asked patients to compare, all have reported that the tummy tuck recovery is less painful than C-section recovery. I hope this, and the attached link/video, helps.

How does the recovery from a Cesarean section compare to a tummy tuck?

After a cesarean section, the incision made in the abdominal wall and muscles are repaired.  During a tummy tuck a tightening or "plication" of the abdominal muscles is performed.  The length of the plication from a tummy tuck is longer than the repair from a C-section.  I generally inform my patients that the pain and recovery from a tummy tuck will be a little worse than a C-section.  Also keep in mind that after a tummy tuck your surgeon will likely place two drains under the abdominal skin, the skin is tight, and you will be walking a bit hunched over.

Michael Zarrabi, MD
Santa Monica Plastic Surgeon