Why is my Stomach Shape So Different when Sucking In? (photo)

I'm planning on having a mommy makeover and am having a hard time finding before & after photos of women I feel I look similar to. When I really relax my stomach expands significantly, why is this? What type of results do you think I'll see? When I lay down or suck in my hip bones protrude, does this change the scar shape I should get? I'm also looking at a mastopexy but am debating whether I need implants to have a similar round shape. Finally can I expect an hour glass shape afterwards?

Excellent Candidate!

Your pictures suggest that you would be an excellent candidate for mommy makeover surgery.  This would most likely include breast augmentation, breast lift, abdominoplasty and liposuction of the hips and thighs.                 The changes that you describe in your abdomen and are normal with muscle relaxation.  These changes should become less noticeable following Tummy tuck surgery.                 If you’re considering mommy makeover surgery, it’s appropriate to consult a board certified plastic surgeon.  This surgeon should be able to formulate a treatment plan that addresses your anatomic findings and achieves our aesthetic goals

Mommy Makeover Results

Thank you for your question.  The reason your abdomen is shaped differently as you contract your abdominal muscles in is because you have what is called Diastasis Recti, a common condition involving laxity of the rectus abdominus muscles, usually caused by pregnancy.  The best way to fix this is with a full abdominoplasty or tummy tuck with full muscle plication or tightening.  In addition I would recommend a breast lift and using high profile silicone implants to lift and improve the appearance of the breasts.  Based on your photos, you are an ideal candidate for this combo procedure, or a mommy makeover.  Good luck and take care!

Why is my stomach shape so different when sucking in? #tummytuck

In addition to having laxity of the skin you have abdominal wall laxity of the musculature. Part of a tummy tuck is to tighten those muscles as much as possible. I think you will have a great result if you pick the right surgeon. We deal with these issues all the time. When you go for your consultation make sure you address these questions.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Mommy makeover

Your pictures suggest to mje that you are an ideal candidate for mommy makeover that would include mastopexy (breast lift) and tummy tuck.   I would not recommend implants at this time; you can always go back and get them later if you want more volume, but I think a lift alone will make you happy.  I would expect that you can achieve an hourglass figure.

Be sure to choose a board certified plastic surgeon who can show you a comprehensive portfolio of pre- and post-op pictures so you can see the types of results that are reasonable to expect.

Lax abdominal wall fascia

Good morning!

The differences in your stomach convexity when sucking in or lying down have to do with having significant abdominal wall laxity- due most likely to past pregnancy or wieght loss.

The great news is that patients like you are the ones who see HUGE differences in their body contour after tummy tuck with fascial plication (the "internal corset").  Performed by surgeons well experienced with these procedures, your result will likely one he/she will post on their website.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

Robert Steely, MD, FACS

With so many concerns and desires the best plan is to have IN PERSON evaluations vs over internet consultations. Seek to see ION PERSON a few boarded PSs in Tulsa. 

Mommy makeover

You should do well with a tummy tuck and a breast lift with some breast tissue removed to give you a perky shape and slightly smaller breast size which will stay perky longer!. If you really want an hourglass figure then you need and extended tummy tuck. The scars are longer so you need to know that going in. Find an well know doctor in your area and they should be able to show you pictures. Good Luck!

Gregory T. Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Why is my Stomach Shape So Different when Sucking In?

I think that a full breast lift, tummy tuck, and liposuction of the flanks will produce a very nice result.  If you want additional superior pole fullness of the breasts, a small implant can be placed.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of mommy makeovers each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Mommy Makeover

Hi Bellhooks,

Thanks for your questions and the pics.

During your pregnancy the muscles in the midline of your abdomen naturally separate to allow more room for your baby to grow. As this happens the tissue between the two muscles stretches, this is called a divarication and is the gap you can feel in the midline between the muscles as you try and do a sit up. Try doing this, I suspect you will be able to fit several fingers between the two edges of the muscles. 

When you stand up it is this means your tummy wall is stretched and so your abdominal contents bulge out. Part of a tummy tuck is to repair the separation between the muscles, which will give you a tighter abdominal wall.

The other part of a tummy tuck is to remove the loose skin, which has stretched during pregnancy.

Looking at your 2nd and 4th pictures,  gives you a good indication of what you can expect after your surgery, minus the skin roll. Your skin will also be tighter which will improve the wrinkliness of your skin.

I think you can be quite confident about achieving a nice figure (hour glass) following your operation. You already have a nice waist, and this will  be improved with tightening of your tummy wall as well as some liposuction in this area. The trade off will be a low scar running from one hip to the other, which should be easily hidden by your panties or swimwear. 

Regarding your breast shape. If you feel comfortable with your breast size in a bra, then I  would recommend a mastopexy alone. You should get a nice shaped breast with this approach, without the need for an implant. 

I hope this helps, and all the very best to you.

Shape changes when the anterior abdominal wall muscles are tightened

From your photographs you appear to be a good candidate for an abdominoplasty and breast lift surgery.  There are three components that must be assessed when planning the abdominoplasty: 1.  Skin    2.   Fat   3.   Anterior abdominal wall laxity.  From your photographs it appears that you need a correction of all three.  When you relax your abdomen you can see that there is a moderate degree of anterior abdominal wall or fascial laxity.  You have multiple stretch marks of the lower abdomen and this skin will be excised and removed with an abdominoplasty.  The fascial will also be tightened by plicating it in the midline. This will all contribute to improving your shape and restoring an hour glass figure.