How Much Weight Do I Need to Lose to Be Eligible for a Mommy Makeover? (photo)

Hello, I am a 39 year old mom of three that is wanting a mommy makeover. I have been doing crossfit 3 times a week ( dead lift 100 pounds, hundreds of pushups, squats, etc etc..) and then started to pick up some krav maga and boxing on tues-thur. However, though I eat very clean ( organic, grass fed, no grains etc) I weigh A LOT. 170 pounds and 5"0 tall . I am about a size 10-12. How much weight do I need to lose to be eligible for a mommy makeover :( my BMI is ringing at morbidly obese.

Look inside your tummy

After looking at your photo, I thought, "where is she hiding that weight?". It must be intra abdominally or wrapped around your organs. Easy way to check is to lay flat on your back and see the contour of your stomach. If it sink in you are probably ready, if it is even or protruding, then you should continue your aggressive exercise and calorie management program before considering this surgery.  The large volume inside/ behind the muscles will prevent a good result of the muscle tightening.

Naples Plastic Surgeon

Each patient is different.

There’s no question that being close to your ideal body weight improves the results from Mommy Makeover surgery. It also decreases the potential for complications with this type of surgical procedure.For these reasons, we prefer that patients be within 10% of their ideal body weight at the time of surgery.
Unfortunately, reaching an ideal weight is easier said than done.The vast majority of patients are unsuccessful at losing this additional weight.It’s also important to realize that even when patients are overweight, they can potentially benefit from abdominoplasty.We therefore, evaluate every patient on an individual basis.
We encourage patients to lose weight before surgery and prefer that their weight be stable for at least three months.We realize that some patients will have difficulty losing weight.We therefore, encourage patients to be in a supervised weight loss program.Even with that help, some patients will be unsuccessful in their effort to lose weight.Even without weight loss, many of these patients will still potentially benefit from tummy tuck surgery.
It’s important to realize that weight loss following tummy tuck surgery can affect the final result.This could even result in the need for revisional surgery.For these reasons, it’s important to thoroughly discuss this issue with your plastic surgeon.

Need stable weight before Mommy Makeover

Your weight should be stable for at least 6 months before undergoing mommy makeover surgery.  You would hate to have a tummy tuck and then lose 50 more pounds and need to repeat the tummy tuck again.  Also, you need to be finished with child bearing before undergoing the tummy tuck procedure.

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Ideal weight for mommy makeover

Although being at your ideal weight before having the mommy-maker is ideal, not all can achieve that. Having a BMI at 30 or less is safest for the procedure, especially if it is done as an outpatient procedure. If you are dieting and still having difficulty loosing weight, try fruit and vegetable and protein diet only. Avoid all grains. Do be sure to eat enough protein, especially with your exercing schedule. The procedure can still be done at a higer BMI, but I would suggest having it done at a hospital with a possible overnight stay. The risk of complications increases with higher BMI's. I also suggest finding a board-certified plastic surgeon who is comfortable in doing combination procedures.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover Weight

There is no magic number at which a mommy makeover would be appropriate. You would certainly get a better cosmetic result the closer you are to your ideal body weight.  Continue with your exercise routine and good luck with your surgery. All the best.

Deciding on a Mommy Makeover

It sounds like you have been working very hard with your rigorous exercise and diet programs.  Congratulations on all your hard work!  I think that it is very common for moms to "hit a wall" at this point when you are already working so hard with your diet and exercise.  I do not have any "specific" weight loss requirements in order to be "eligible" for a mommy makeover.  In viewing your photo that you provided and based on your weight now, I would say you are ready now and do not "have" to lose any further weight.  Some traditional plastic surgeons still "require" a certain amount of weight loss prior to surgery; however, I have found that it does not enhance the results.  I have found the contrary actually, in that patients that are working hard need something to help them get over "the hump".  A mommy makeover is something I specialize in and it helps rejuvenate the breast and tummy in particular which are the areas of the body that change the most with pregnancy.  I have found that by "doing it now" with the mommy makeover, the motivation that patients experience after seeing the surgical changes only further drives them to "build" on their results with further diet and exercise.

Ideal Weight before Mommy Makeover?

Congratulations on your healthy lifestyle;  I would suggest that you continue to do what you are doing until you have achieved a long-term stable weight. The specific weight you achieve is not of utmost importance;  most important is that you do not fluctuate significantly after surgery.

As you know, achieving your long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with body contouring surgery will help minimize risks associated with the surgery and help diminish chances that additional surgery will be necessary down the line.

When you have achieved long-term stable weight, regardless of the specific number, seek consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and communicate your goals clearly.

Since you are contemplating major surgery, I have included some advice I typically provide to patients undergoing these procedures:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself)  and that you have realistic expectations.  Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life   situation.  You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be  more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.

5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina  of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the   emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.

Keep up the good work!

Mommy Makeover

Thank you for your question and posting your photos.  First, you should be congratulated on your healthy lifestyle!  Keep up the good work.  If you are actively losing weight, I would tell you to hold off  on mommy makeover surgery until you have reached your goal weight. However, if you think you have hit a wall and are stuck at 170 lbs, then you have some options.  One option is to consider medically supervised weight loss programs to see if you can safely achieve your goals.  If you do consider a mommy makeover procedure, I would suggest you first visit with a board certified plasticsurgeon who specializes in these procedures.  During the formal examination, your abdominal anatomy will be examined - including the amount, location, and distribution of your excess weight/fat.  For instance, I would assess if you have too much intra-abdominal fat (too much fat inside your belly sitting next to your bowels).  If this were the case, it may be too risky to proceed with a tummy tuck.  It would be better for you to lose weight to acheive better and a safer result.   Keep in mind, as my colleagues have suggested, your BMI is 33 and you may be at an increased risk for slow healing or a seroma (fluid collection).  In summary, I would suggest you start with a consultation with a board certified PS in your area. 

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

Ideal Weight for a Mommy Makeover

When planning a Mommy Makeover in San Antonio, I generally advise women to get their BMI under 30.  The risks of complications are higher in patients with a BMI over 30.  These complications include wound healing problems, infections, and blood clots.

Suresh Koneru, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

How Much Weight Do I Need to Lose to Be Eligible for a Mommy Makeover? (

You don't mention if you are currently losing weight.

Your BMI is 33. Many surgeons use 30 as a "safety threshold".  Many complications are more common with BMI above that number. You would be at 30 with a weight of 153, so you are not far off. 

Your final result will be better if you are close to your goal weight. 

For example, were you to have your procedure now and then lose to 130 (BMI 25), your outcome would not be as good as a patient who lost the weight first and then had her procedure. When you are ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S. Thank you for your question, best wishes.

Although it may be early for surgery, it is not too soon to begin the consultation process.