Rib pain after Breast Augmentation, how do I alleviate it?

What causes my ribs right below my breasts to be extremely sensitive to the touch when lying down after breast augmentation? Is there anything I can do to alleviate the pain? I am 2 weeks post-op with 325cc silicone implants under the muscle

Suture Pain

You likely have deep, dissolvable sutures at the base of your breasts and it is normal to eel tension and discomfort from the incision area at this point. Over the next month or two the tension and discomfort should ease.

Let your Plastic Surgeon know if you have ongoing concerns.

All the best

Pain after breast augmentation

Thanks for your inquiry, but without an exam it is hard to advise.  I am sure your surgeon could give a more specific reason , but in general the ribs, muscle, and incisions can be sensitive from pressure, nerve irritation, and swelling.  A not uncommon reason for pain under the breast on the ribs is a condition called Mondor's Disease.  This sounds like a scary condition, but it is inflammation of the veins along the chest wall that is self limiting but takes some time to go away.  Ask your doctor if this is a possibility on you.  Good Luck

Rib Pain After Breast Augmentation is not uncommon

Unfortunately rib pain after breast augmentation is not uncommon.  The same pressure placed on the skin to accommodate an implant is pressing on the ribs.  Then each time you breathe, that pressure increases during inhalation.  Sometimes this leads to costochondritis which is inflammation of the cartilage on the ribs.  This is the most common explanation for rib pain after run of the mill breast augmentation.  Obviously asking your surgeon is key because he/she may be able to offer insight to your specific surgery including whether or not inframammary fold reconstruction was done.  Typically NSAIDS are more effective with costochondritis than opoids.  Good luck.  

Christopher Newman, DO
Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon