Will medical insurance pay for Tazorac? Especially for a women over 35?

I used Tretinoin for 4 months, maxing out at .1% but I have pimples that need to be "dried out." My Dermatologist gave me Tazorac samples, he said the insurance companies will not pay for it; its a very costly gel, also, he doesn't know how people can afford this product...but people are using it. Walmart's price is $325 for 0.05% . Are there any rebates, coupons, or programs that will make Tazorac affordable? Thanks! Tazorac, medical insurance, coupons, rebates, promotional programs

Thank you for your question.  Tazorac is an excellent medication, insurance company coverage is different based upon insurance company and part of the country where you are located.  There are Allergan rebate cards that exist for Tazorac which should bring down the copay tremendously.  I think the current card has a maximum pay of $75 for Tazorac if you have no insurance coverage.  Please discuss with your Dermatologists office about them providing the coupon for you as they should receive them from the pharmaceutical rep.  Regards, Dr. Matt Elias

Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon