Thermage at 79 years of age?

My mother is 79 and considering thermage treatment. She is in very good health. She has thin skin and has moderate jowls and wrinkles. Would you recommend thermage? Thanks

Thermage at Old Age

Thermage is a great treatment for skin laxity, even for someone who is 76 years old. It is a non-invasive treatment, very tolerable, and there is no downtime. If you'd like a subtle lift and tightening of the skin Thermage is a great treatment.

Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Thermage in age 70's

I have patients of all ages who do Thermage.  Unless your Mom needs a facelift, I highly recommend Thermage for the type of skin laxity that you are describing. The advantage of not having an invasive procedure without any down time and no side effects is appealing to patients of all ages, especially those over age 65.  Best, Dr. Green

Is There An Age Limit to Thermage?

Although a definitive answer without evaluating her in person is impossible, your mother could possibly benefit from Thermage depending on the severity of her skin laxity. Of course she will not have the same improvement of someone a couple decades younger, but this does not mean she is exempt from treatment.

As you may already know, Thermage is a non-invasive treatment that utilizes radiofrequency energy to tighten. Thermage works by delivering bulk heat deep into the skin’s tissue, stimulating and strengthening the collagen bands. This action results in a gradual firming of the skin that can be seen over a period of 4-6 months. Unfortunately, in some cases if there is little to no viable collagen present to be stimulated, the end result may be minimal.

Speaking in terms of safety, patients of any age can typically be treated, as long as there are no metals present in their body. Things such as metal implants or braces can be heated up by the radiofrequency energy, and may be harmful to the patient.

If both of you keep in mind realistic expectations of what can and cannot be achieved with Thermage due to her age, it could be worth a try if she is determined to receive treatment. Be sure to speak with a reputable, board certified Dermatologist who can provide your mother with a thorough and honest evaluation.

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon