What's the difference between Thermage and other RF treatments?

What is the reason that Thermage hurts (and needs pain killers) but other Radiofrequency treatments just feel like a warm massage? What is the difference between technologies and how can potential patients be assured that they wont receive an adverse effect -ie"fat/tissue loss instead of the desired effect?

Thermage Versus Other Radiofrequency Treatments

One of the benefits of Thermage is that it is entirely painless and has the best results of any radiofrequency devices.  Because you can go deep, new collagen will build over the next four months.  Please consult with a board certified dermatologist for the best cosmetic results.  Best, Dr. Green

My patients rarely have pain with thermage, I think it all depends on the person who is performing the procedure.  Other radiofrequency treatments are less power and need more treatments for long term results.  I often have my patients do a thermage treatment then start venus legacy or velashape to maintain and increase the results.  Best, Dr. Emer.