285 cc or 310 cc?

I'm 5'4 weighing 95 lbs breast fed 2 babies and currently have a small saggy b cup. My weight has fluctuated over the years so I have lots of loose skin. My bwd is 10.5 and my surgeon has recommended 285cc however the consultant has suggested I go bigger. I'm deciding between 285 and 310. Any advice ?

Choosing Implant Size

Cup size is an inexact measurement as cup size will vary even with the same manufacturer. The size of the implants are based on a combination of a patient's goals and objectives and her anatomy. In order to provide a natural looking augmentation, the surgeon needs to evaluate many factors including soft tissue coverage, skin laxity, chest wall width, breast imprint width, the shape of the breasts and relative level of constriction to ensure that the breast implants are appropriate for your body.

I'm 5'4 weighing 95 lbs breast fed 2 babies and currently have a small saggy b cup. My weight has fluctuated over the years so I

Thank you for the question. The best way to decide what breast implant is dependent on your anatomy particularly breast width. The difference between 285 and 310 cc is not much either way you will have similar results. It is best to discuss your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck.

Implant Size Choices

Thank you for your question. The two sizes you have listed are very similar. My patients find it helpful to try on the implants with a form fitting T-Shirt in the office in order to get a feel for how they will look. Your Plastic Surgeon's office will likely be able to help you make your choice.

All the best

Breast Augmentation/ Breast Implants / Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/ Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements. Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance. Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).
Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.
These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute

Breast Implants / Breast Augmentation / Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants / Silicone Implants / Breast Implant Revision Surgery

Thank you for your question. Before you make your final decision on size and shape of implants I would suggest that you meet again with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon again and go over your concerns and why you feel a specific implant would give you the results you desire. Your surgeon should be able to explain to you why they are recommending the size they are according to your current breast measurements including your chest width and your desired outcome. Your Surgeon should be able to advise you thoroughly on your options.

We have all our Breast Augmentation patients not only utilize our 3D imaging so they can get a real visual on what the implants will look like on them but also to actually try on the different size implants with a tight bra and t-shirt to see what they might expect. That way they have a good visual of what a 450cc implant will do as opposed to a 350cc implant for example. You want to make sure that you see a surgeon that will listen to you and your goals for the procedure and discuss in detail their recommendation for size and shape not only taking into consideration your desired outcome but also your breast measurements before the procedure including your chest dimensions. And then let you try the implants that they feel will give you the desired result so you are in agreement with the size.

Implant size vs. what the heck does it mean?

Hi nbagaug

It is important to put things into perspective.  The difference between the two implants is 25cc's.  A teaspoon is 5 cc's.  3 teaspoons = a tablespoon.  2 tablespoons = 30 cc's which is ` a shot glass worth of volume.

Armed with this information, you will have less than a shot glass difference between the two implants- not much at all.  If you go to the manufacturers web site and look at product specs, you will find that the increase in volume is likely to be made up by increasing the diameter much more than the projection (if in fact the projection changes at all).  Specifically, the diameter in the larger implant is likely only 3 to 4 millimeters larger, and that is where the additional volume is made up.

In my personal opinion, if you are that close in size, both will likely be fine, with one being a bit better subjectively.  Perhaps try them on again and see which you like best.

All the best and good luck.

285 cc or 310 cc?

This is a common question because, as a rule, patients have no idea how to relate to ccs. The difference is not even 2 tablespoons. Both implants are in the right range for your physique so I would suggest you listen to the professional's recommendation. He has no preference for size for you, only that he deliver the result you have asked for. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

285 vs 310cc?

Thanks for your question. As I tell my patients, your implants will look slightly smaller once in side your body. So, if you are torn between to sizes so close together, go with the larger one. Historically, women often wish they had gone bigger once surgery is done and the healing process has occurred. I also tell women that the difference between your two implant choices is 25cc, that is equivalent to just under one ounce in a baby bottle. That's so little volume! Hope this helps.

285 cc or 310 cc breast implants?

Thank you for your question.  Generally speaking if you are undecided between 2 breast implant sizes within 25 cc of each other most surgeons recommend you go with a larger size. Of course it is important that the larger breast implant appropriately fit the base width of your breast.  You could also try the Rice test at home to see how the additional cc will look on you.  See below: