Are my implants too far apart when I lay down? (photos)

I am 3 months post op and I feel as though my implants were placed too far apart, or my surgeon made the pockets too big for my implants. When I lay back, my implants fall really far to the side and I feel as though they go too far to the side, exposing my chest bones and I fear this is not the result I should have. Also, on the inside on my left implant in my cleavage, I feel a tugging/ a bit of pain and I don't believe this is normal

Are my implants too far apart when I lay down?

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph.  Without the benefit of a before picture it is difficult to offer definite advice but it appears that you had wide-set breasts to begin with, and I do not see excessive lateral implant malposition.  This, however, is best confirmed with an in-person examination.  I would recommend seeing your surgeon and explaining to them your concerns.  They can best answer your question based on your specific procedure.

Implant pocket issue

Everyone's breasts fall to the side a bit. If you feel that they displace to far to the side, then perhaps you need a capsule repair.

Natural breasts move to the sides when laying down. Cleavage and space inbetween depends upon your pre op anatomy.
Close follow up with your plastic surgeon is recommended during the healing and setting process.

I am sorry to hear about your concerns after breast surgery. Although it is difficult to give you precise device without direct examination, some general thoughts in regards to your question may be helpful to you.
 If breast implants are shifting to the side too much ( in the upright or supine position),  the use of internal sutures to close off the breast implant pocket ( lateral capsulorrhaphy)  may be very helpful. This procedure serves to prevent the breast implants from moving to the sides, especially when the patient is lying down. Subsequently, the patient will have an improved “cleavage area”, which decreased  space between the breasts.  Also, if the nipple/areola complexes are off centered because of the breast implant displacement, “repair” of the breast implant pockets will help to better center the nipple/areola complexes.  Barring significant changes in weight and/or pregnancies,  capsulorraphy techniques can be long-lasting if not permanent.  I hope this, and the attached link, help.

Are my breasts too far apart?

Thank you for your question and photographs. Without a preoperative photo to compare to it's hard to make any definitive assumptions about the result. In patients with wide chest bones and outwardly spaced breasts to begin with, with implants having the necessity of being centered on the nipple, they may appear to still be wide postoperatively. In the sitting position, what I see is properly placed in implants with the implant centered on the nipple. In the laying down position there does appear to be some lateralization. Here, gravity certainly may be the enemy. In my experience, in my patients, the best way to fix this is to not only cinch up the lateral  capsule but also add a piece of in an ADM such as Strattice to reinforce it. Your chosen plastic surgeon will be an excellent resource to discuss any possible revision. Hope this is helpful.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS