I have hollow cheeks, how much filler would be required? (Photo)

Last summer, I had upper jaw surgery to correct an under bite. Since then, you can really tell how hollow my cheeks are. I recently got 1 ml in each cheek of Juvederm, but it barely made a difference. I'm going back in a couple of days, how many mls would be required for natural but noticeable cheeks? (First photo left side is with no fillers at all)

I have hollow cheeks, how much filler would be required?

From the attached photos, the cheeks are flat anteriorly (in the front) and the chin is weak.  These combine to create a rectangular shaped face.  Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation using a dermal filler (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or with cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks anteriorly that will feminize the entire face.   Two cc's or Restylane Lyft is typically enough filler for me to shape the cheeks. 

When the chin is weak, this creates an imbalance that makes the nose appear larger, the lower face short and the mid face appear top heavy.  Chin augmentation, using a chin implant, will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.  I have found placing a silastic chin implant through a small, curved, incisions under the chin to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty that requires bone cuts with placement of screws and metal plates.

Hope this helps.

Hollow Cheeks and fillers

You have a lovely facial contour.  I would start with one syringe of Voluma in each cheek.  With the right placement you can make the product go along way. Best to consult an expert.  Keep us posted. Best, Dr. Green

Hollow cheeks

Dear dawns0nlover,

Thank you for your clinical post and photographs. From the photographs presented it does appear you have a long, lean facial contour and sagittal split osteotomy and brining your jawline forward to correct an underbite will create a longer face and a relative decreased volume and the apparent contour of your cheeks. In my experience, I have been injecting for over 20 years both fat and off the shelf Hyaluronic acid sugar gels, one syringe in each cheek will really make a significant difference. It is, however, a good way to assess patient’s reaction to volume shaping and often will stay more within the allotted budget. In general, for long, lean faces with maxillary hypoplasia, I find the under orbit bone as well as the centre prominence and zygomatic sweep only to be enhanced in order to match a strong chin point and jawline. This will often require 3-4 syringes injected not in one area which gives the dreaded “filler face look” but along the entire under eye and cheek sweep region. This can be done expertly with a microcannula with very little risk of bruising.

I hope this information is of some assistance and best of luck.

To find out more or to schedule a consultation, please visit the link below.

R. Stephen Mulholland, M.D.
Certified Plastic Surgeon
Yorkville, Toronto

R. Stephen Mulholland, MD

Juvederm Voluma 2- 3 mls Freestyle Filling

I would say 2-3 ml for a natural look. Expert injectors will not just place one ml in an area such as your mid cheek, but will ' Freestyle '- namely place fillers in stratergic locations to contour and add volume. Balance is the key. To answer your question, I would say budget for 2- 3 ml of Juvederm Voluma- Volift. 

All the best

Dr Davin S. Lim
Laser and aesthetic dermatologist
BRISBANE, Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Hollow cheeks and how much filler required:

At least two syringes of Juvederm Voluma then let this settle in, go back in a month or two later and see what your doctor says

Jeanine B. Downie, MD
Montclair Dermatologic Surgeon

How much filler for cheeks

Thank you for sharing you question and photos. You should look great with 1ml of Juvederm injected into each cheek. You can always add more. Good luck.

Hollow cheeks

I think that I would start with 1 ml per side and see how you like it. I doubt that you would need much more than that.

Andres Gantous, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cheek hallowness

Juvederm an other injectable fillers are a great solution for reducing volume loss in the cheeks.  For significant deficits in volume, larger quantities of filler are needed.  Sometimes in these patients, it may be more cost effective to perform a Fat Transplantation procedure. In this case 1.5 - 2 cc per side would likely be sufficient; but a physical exam would be needed to accurately assess the volume loss.   It is important to have a consultation with an expert injector that includes expectation of optimal results prior to any injectable regimen.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

More volume

I often put 1- 1/2 syringes in each cheek and sometimes more.  Every patient is different and you would need to be seen in person.  Good luck.

Filler in Cheeks

It is always hard to tell without seeing patients in person. I would ask your physician about Voluma for your cheeks. It is made by Allergan, the same as Juvederm but is larger in molecular size and should last a lot longer.

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon