Fixing wide gap between breasts. Any suggestions? (photos)

I'm considering getting a breast augmentation in order to get a more lifted look. I have wide set breasts that look even worse because of the sagging. I'm currently a 36C. Is there anything I can do to fix the sagging and the very wide gap? Thanks.

Breast Lift

Thank you  for your question and photos. A physical exam is required but it appears that you could benefit most from a breast lift. This would allow you to lift up and reposition sagging breast skin and areolas. This can be done with or without implants.

I recommend that you book a consultation with a board certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your goals and your options.

All the best

Fixing wide gap between breasts. Any suggestions

When placing implant, we like to use the nipple as the center of the target. From what I see in your pictures, if you try to reduce the width of your sternum, you would need an implant above the muscle and it would need to be a very wide implant. That can lead to a malposition of the nipple on the new breast mound. Also, in time, with a large implant on top of the muscle, you will end up sagging and the sternum will be seen as it is today.

Julio Garcia, MD

Breast Lift with Implants

I appreciate your concern, but it appears that breast lift with implants is your best option. This would address the shape,droop and lack of fullness of your breasts, and also correct your large nipple-areolar complexes. There are risks and issues with this approach, like scarring, so be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Correcting the gap between your breasts

Your photos are not as good as a consultation but overall I expect that a lift is the best thing for you.  Whether or not you want more volume is the answer to whether an augmentation is required.  The separation between your breasts is not easily changed and is more reflective of the shape of your rib cage and the position your breasts project from your chest.  A modest correction is available with fat grafting, something that I have been doing more and more of.  This can be done with just a breast lift or a lift and breast augmentation.  If you want to discuss your options more, I would be happy to see you in consultation.

Dr Rodger Shortt
Oakville Plastic Surgeon
Assistant Clinical Professor &
Director of Cosmetic Surgery Training,
McMaster University

Striving to be the top ranked and best plastic surgeon serving Oakville, Georgetown, Burlington, Milton, Hamilton, Toronto and the GTA.

Rodger Shortt, FRCSC

Cleavage

The gap between your breasts will be much improved by a lift.  Implants alone will not be a good solution.

Michael Kreidstein, MD

Fixing wide gap between breasts. Any suggestions?

The gap between your breasts (cleavage) will be improved with implants due to the added volume but the actual gap should not be manipulated.   Attempts to narrow the cleavage with implants can lead to a problem called symmastia, which is very difficult to fix.  

I recommend my patients using a bra to narrow the cleavage.

Good luck.

Improving your breasts

Adding implants and doing a lift may be able to improve your breasts, but the gap will not change.  Implants add volume to existing breasts, and a lift helps to lift and reshape the breast.  The gap is what is it is.  Trying to fake it by pushing implants closer together often makes the results worse

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Breast lift and implant

The gap between your breasts is a simple fact of your anatomy. however you are probably a good candidate for at least a breast lift and maybe an augmentation /lift if you want more volume. Once you have more volume higher this will help make the gap appear smaller. Then if you add a pushup bra you can achieve cleavage. Bras not surgeons make cleavage. Good luck.

Sagging and implants

Implants do not lift the breasts to any degree.  You likely need a lift along with implants to achieve your goals.

Fixing the Wide Gap between Breasts

Great question.

First, let's understand what cusses the gap between the breasts. The vertical bone of the chest cage, the sternum, stabilizes the chest and allows the ribs which join it along both its sides to act as a bellows sucking in and expelling air as we breath. As you can feel for yourself, there is just skin and minimal fat on this bone. So the width of the sternum greatly determines the specs between the breasts. While some breast tissue creeps on the lateral margins of the sternum, the vast majority cannot. The underlying pectoralis major muscles originates from the anterior surace along the side  of the sternum and cartilages of the top six ribs as they attach to the sternum. In the process of placing breasts implants and creating pockets for them, we divide the muscle origins to the ribs and the inferior attachments but we spare the vertical attachments to the sternum. 
Attempting to squeeze in large implants into small chested women and weakening and division of the vertical attachment of the pectorals so major muscles to accommodate the implants and narrow the cleavage greatly increase the risk of the implants moving in and creating a "Uniboob" or symmastia. You can see photos of these unfortunate women all over the Internet. 

In my opinion you can have a nice result with either a Breast Lift or a Lift Augmentation without having to resort to risky surgical acrobatics. Seek out a good board Cerified Plastic surgeon where you live and you should do well.

Dr. Peter A. Aldea
Memphis, TN