Melasma linked to silicone implants?

I'm due to have a breast augmentation with silicone on the 30 th July . I've read on real self forums of people developing Melasma after implants could this be true? I have Melasma . I no longer use birth control and use constant physical sun blockers . I'm now concerned that implants will worsen my existing Melasma or develop new patches. I do wonder if the ladies that developed Melasma would have done so anyway regardless of implants , any advice would be appreciated .

Melasma Worries Post Op

Thank you for your question,

While scars can darken in sun exposure especially early post op, wearing sunblock to protect your skin as you normally would should be sufficient. You must protect the scar from the sun for a year, as suntanning the scar may stain it permanently red or brown. This makes it more noticeable.

All the best

Mr H Nishikawa

Thank you for your question. I do not think that there is any evidence that silicone implants cause Melasma, which is the brown patchy pigmentation of skin. The exact cause is not known, but several factors can contribute. These include, pregnancy, some medication and hormonal drugs, such as the oral contraceptive pill, and medical conditions that affect hormone levels. Sunshine and the use of sun-beds can make the tendency to melasma worse. Some occupations, which involve high temperature conditions, such as steel workers and bakers are thought to make the condition difficult to treat. There is evidence from the study of identical twins that there is a complex interaction of genetic susceptibility and the environment.

I do hope this helps and good luck.

Melasma linked to silicone implants?

I do not know of any reliable studies showing a link between melasma and breast implants. You can go head with your with your procedure without fear of worsening your melasma. Do not forget to apply sunscreen when you go out !   

All The Best !

Ajaya Kashyap, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

New Generation Silicone Gel

New generation silicone gel implants are far superior than those used in the past and have a proven track record of safety. Silicone implants have gone through more testing than any other medical device and are the preferred choice for over the muscle implant placement.

#SiliconeImplants are made with a silicone outer shell and are filled with a gummy-bear consistency silicone on the inside. More women tend to choose silicone breast implants due to the natural feel and appearance. Silicone implants are now made of a cohesive gel which are anti-leak even when cut. Look and feel like natural breasts due to the cohesive silicone gel material.

Melasma linked to silicone implants?

I have never heard of women developing melasma after silicone implants. Perhaps, they are happy to show off their new breasts in bikini tops at the beach and forgetting to use facial sunscreen! 

Silicone implants and melasma

Hello and thanks for your question
 I have been performing breast augmentation with silicone gel implants for over 20 years and have never seen a case where melisma developed post operatively. Best wishes and good luck with your procedure.

David A. Bottger, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon