Can a filler - such as juvederm change my smile shape? And will it look natural?

When my face is relaxed, my mouth looks slightly frowny..and when I smile, my mouth is straight. I would love to have a natural, turned up smile. I think I have great teeth, but my smile is ugly and I hate having my picture taken because of it. I always look like I'm in pain or mad...and I hide my face away from people when I laugh. Can a filler help change your smile shape? Or what can I do to change it? And can the muscles around my mouth become paralyzed if the needle is done incorrectly?

Changing your smile

You could look at trying a little bit of Botox at the corners of your mouth- the muscle is called the depressor anguli oris.  Once injected with Botox it will elevate the corners of your mouth.

Upturned smile

The corners of your mouth will elevate more, if the muscles holding the corners down are relaxed with Botox. There is a small risk of your smile being temporarily slightly asymmetrical from Botox although this does not happen commonly. Juvederm can be used, in addition, to correct any volume loss around the corners of the mouth / either side of the chin / or below the cheekbones, that can contribute to the appearance of droopy corners of the mouth. I recommend a consultation with a board-certified cosmetic dermatologist with experience in using fillers and Botox.

Renuka Diwan, MD
Cleveland Dermatologic Surgeon

Fixing a sad mouth

Great question and very common problem.You should be seen by a Board Certified Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon. Your smile can be improved by  fillers and/or Botox..See an experienced physician and your smile should be improved.

Esta Kronberg, MD
Houston Dermatologic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. Yes, Juvederm can be used to help turn up the corners of the mouth and it cannot paralyze the muscle around your mouth. Juvederm can also be reversed and dissolved if you are unsatisfied with your result. It would be best to have a consult with a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon to evaluate your face to see where your issues lie so as to get the best correction to achieve the look you are wanting. 

Lenore Sikorski, MD
Orange County Dermatologist

Using a filler to turn your frown upside down!

Fillers can be used to turn up the ends of your smile.  The key is first to be evaluated by your cosmetic dermatologist or surgeon to figure out why it is turned down.  Strong pulling by the depressor muscles of the chin can cause a frown: that would be improved with injection of a botulinum toxin.  A frown appearance can also be caused by loss of fat of the cheeks making skin hang over the ends off the lips, loss of fat in the skin between the nose and upper lip leading to flattening of that area and/or loss of fat of the chin and jawline which means loss of support.  The choice, placement and amount of filler needed will depend on where your volume loss is most severe. Many patients need a combination in order to keep the look natural.  I hope this answer was helpful.  Wishing you luck!

Heidi A. Waldorf, MD

Fillers and lips

Fillers can help with your lips in repose. Your active smile wilt be affected by fillers.  Best of luck.

Thank you for your question.  Sorry that you are having some concerns about your facial appearance.  In general, use of dermal fillers can help change the shape of the smile and improve the resting appearance around the mouth.  Beautiful and natural results can be achieved.  Unlike Botox, fillers do not affect the contractile ability of muscle.  Please be sure to see an expert injector for an in-person consultation to fully address your concerns and to discuss your goals and expectations in order to determine the best treatment plan.  Hope this helps and best wishes!

Smile and Fillers

There are ways of adjusting your lips to make your smile look fuller. You cannot use Botox to paralyze the area since you will have a droop. Please consult an expert in lip injections. Best, Dr. Green