Is it possible to do a 24 hour road trip 7-10 days post breast augmentation?

Road trip after breast augmentation

Dear Nichoal,

Many patients that I see for breast, body and face surgery come from out of town and they have a planned departure date 7 to 10 days following the surgery. These patients fly or drive and generally undergo no additional complications over and above patients that do not travel. However, I do always warn them there is increased risk of seroma or fluid collection when flying at 31,000 feet. So often a breast band and supportive bra would be important.

There is an increased risk of deep vein thrombosis and blood clot, so subcutaneous Heparin and an Aspirin prior to flying would be advisable. In general, most patients do very well travelling following cosmetic surgery if they pay attention to post-operative instructions and minimize exertion activity over and above the travelling. It is very important that you seek the advice of your board certified plastic surgeon to ensure that they agree with this advice and that you follow any post-op travel instructions they may have additionally.

I hope this information has been of some assistance and best of luck. I’m sure you’ll get an excellent cosmetic result.

For more information, please review the link below.

R. Stephen Mulholland, M.D.
Certified Plastic Surgeon
Yorkville, Toronto

Breast augmentation #breastimplants #BBA #salineimplants #siliconeimplants

Dear Nichoal

Thank you for your question!  Traveling after post op day 10 is usually ok.  If by chance there are any concerns in the post op period then you may have to change your plans.

With Warm Regards
Trevor M Born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD

Maybe

This is a difficult question.  Are you driving  the entire way or do you have help?  It may be possible 10 days after your BA to drive but it truly depends upon the precision of your operation, size of implant, general health and several other factors. Please consult with your BCPS prior to your trip. Enjoy!

Dr. Burnett 

Travel after breast augmentation

Thanks for your question.  I'd suggest checking with your surgeon prior to the operation, and again before departure to make sure there are no concerns.  They will likely consider how long and far you are driving/flying and how you are healing.

Traveling After Breast Augmentation

This is a question you should address with your surgeon.  Two thoughts come to mind.  One is any concern your surgeon may have about complications arising when you will have limited access to a physician that is familiar with your history and capable of addressing any issues that may develop.  The other potential concern is blood clots.  You need to be careful about being immobile for any prolonged period of time following surgery as your body is more likely to form clots following an operation.  Again, I think you should discuss this with your doctor for specific answers to your concerns.

Richard Kofkoff, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon