Torn Suture or Muscle 7 Weeks After Diastasis Recti Repair? (photo)

i had open diastasis recti repair surgery in June. the diastasis was sutured with prolene. healing has been smooth, until last week. i got food poisoning and vomited a 6 times in the middle of the night. i was wearing my binder (and have been religiously) at the time, and also splinting with my hands. i didn't hear any "pop", and was not terribly sore the next day. its been very sore each of 4 days since, and i fear a torn suture. is this likely/possible? please see the pictures for more. THX!

Torn Suture or Muscle 7 Weeks After Diastasis Recti Repair?

From your photo, I do not see anything to be concerned for, it does not appear that you have torn your repair.  Vomiting can certainly cause enough pressure over a diastasis repair where suture rupture or tearing can happen, but I think you are likely safely assured that it has not. Be sure to notify your surgeon of the event, and monitor the healing, but I think you are safe!

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

It does not have to be a torn suture

Thank you for the question and the photos.  AT 7 weeks after your tummy tuck most the strength of the healing has occurred.  If you do not notice a difference in your abdominal shape after the "pop" I would take comfort in knowing that it is likely ok.  To make sure as well as for comfort I would continue to wear the abdominal binder and refrain from vigourous activity until you are sure that everything is fine and you have had a chance to see your plastic surgeon.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD