Brow Lift for 24 year old female: Too Early?

I am a 24 year old female. I have very droopy eyebrows. Is it too early to get a browlift??

Not necessarily

Greetings Eve,

If your anatomy is right, it is never too early to get a brow lift. The more important question is do you suffer from upper eyelid ptosis (droop of the eyelid itself), excess upper eyelid skin, or one of several congenital conditions which can cause a droopy eyebrow appearance. Consultation with a knowledgeable facial plastic or plastic surgeon or ophthalmologist would be a wise idea.

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

It would be unusual for a 24 year old to benefit from a browlift

Hi Eve,

Without the benefit of seeing and examining your brow I cannot be certain, but I will still say the answer is probably, “yes, age 24 is too early to have a browlift.” While it is true that anatomy is more important than age in determining whether one will benefit from surgery, I would venture to guess that your anatomy would not justify the procedure. Although there are rare conditions that cause premature aging and there are genetic anatomic variations that result in a low position of the brow, I sense these are not present in your case. If you are truly bothered by the appearance of your forehead and desire a definitive opinion I would suggest a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.

I suspect this is not the answer you wanted but I hope this will still be of some benefit to you. Good luck and best wishes if you decide to seek a formal consultation.

Wayne I. Yamahata, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

The decision is based primarily on your anatomy

There is no absolute age minimum for facial cosmetic surgery, and a browlift may be appropriate if your anatomy requires the procedure for rejuvenation of the brows. That being said, I would recommend being very cautious and careful both with who you consult with as well as the ultimate decision to have a procedure. Visit with 2 or 3 Board Certified Plastic Surgeons in your area, and Dallas has many excellent ones-- they will be able to give you an honest impression of what they feel will be your best options.

Dr. S

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS

Brow Lift Too Early?

Not necessarily!! It all depends on your anatomy. If your outer aspect of your brow is low, you may benefit from a slight elevation. The "endotine" brow lift may be perfect for you! It can be done through an upper eyelid incision. A dissolvable clip is applied to elevate the outer aspect of the brow. The elevation is subtle but may be just what "the doctor ordered"!!

Droopy Eyebrows Can be Made Better

Your age would not preclude you from having a browlift.

Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to find out if you are a good candidate for this procedure.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Browlift can be done in your 20's if you want to change your anatomy

A picture is important to analyze your appearance.  Droopy eyebrows can be found in younger people based on their own individual anatomy. Droopy eyebrows can give your a stern appearance.  And appearances can mean everything.  I have a theory on facial beauty that explains this to a degree as well as a blog.  If you eyebrow is one iris width away from your eyelid margin you are near the ideal height.  Being a little higher can make you look more awake. But anything more than 1 1/2 iris widths can give you a surprising look. Sometimes volume under the eyebrow can brighten your eyes by increasing your eyes highlights.  You should send me some pictures.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Anatomy is more important than age with a brow lift

Your anatomy is much more important than your age. In general, we see that patient's brows tend to drop with age. That being said, we all know people who are 30 years old and still look like they're 20 years old. So, you're not too young.

That being said, it's important for you to seek consultation with a well trained plastic surgeon or facial plastic surgeon who can personally examine you and discuss your individual situation. It's important for them to short term and long term recurrence rates particularly with you being so young.

In any case, if you see an issue that you want to address, you shouldn't worry about whether you're too young, too old, or too "anything." That's why we're around. To help you when you need it.

Edward S. Lee, MD
Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Probably too young for a browlift

At age 24, the only reason you would need a browlift is if you just had a serious genetic inherited trait for low brows. While this might be the case, it certainly would be rare. It would be wise to consult with an American Board of Plastic Surgery certified surgeon who can do all the available treatments and help you determine which is right for you.

Not necessarily

There are many reasons to have droopy eyebrows. The most common one that people think of is age related loss of skin elasticity causing brow descent from the effects of time and gravity. It could just as well be inherited facial appearance, or genetically weak forehead musculature. At your age, your skin quality should be good (ie: having good elastic properties), so possibly you may benefit from a chemical brow lift. If your facial muscular tone is good, and your forehead is relatively smooth, then using Botox in the crow’s feet region and glabella can remove the downward pull of the associated muscles. When it is unopposed, the frontalis muscle can raise your eyebrows.
My advice would be to consult with a surgeon who performs both brow lift surgery and botox, and ask their opinion.

Too young

Without seeing you and basing it on your age alone, I would say 24 is definitely too early for a brow lift. This is because the droopiness in the forehead that warrants a brow lift doesn’t occur until later on, perhaps in your 40s and on. However, some people naturally have heavy brows and a brow lift may be suitable. I would recommend you try Botox first to gently lift the brows and see if you like the results before considering surgery.