Seroma in low back post Lipo. Any suggestions? (photos)

My bf had lipo 10 days ago and loves her results but developed a seroma in the low back which was aspirated once 200c at post op day 5. CG are still worn and next day post aspiration, same amount of seroma collected. Here is my concern as a healthcare professional. will her skin eventually stick? How long will this last Until it's all resolved? Should she continue her post op antibiotics to prevent infection? Will this clot and cause irregularities? What are we dealing with here? Thank You !

Seromas after liposuction.

I disagree with the previous comment. Seromas should be very uncommon after liposuction. Almost always there has been laser or ultrasonic assistance. Treatment is serial aspiration until the have resolved.

Serum after liposuction

Seromas are not uncommon after liposuction.  The body likes to fill spaces with fluid- that's why we sometimes use drains.  As long as the fluid remains clear and is removed regularly, the skin will stick down and the fluid will eventually stop coming back.  Sometimes it helps to have a small drain called a seroma catheter inserted if there is a lot of fluid and it keeps coming back.  The jury is out on antibiotics- I usually prescribe them for a few days, but it is not clear that they are necessary.  

B. Aviva Preminger, MD

Seromas After Liposuction

this needs lymphatic massage, drainage daily and tight compression.  It will take weeks for it to resolve.  A close watch should be placed on this.  If it continues to recur then placing a drain may help resolution.  Best, Dr. emer.

Seromas and lipo

Serums can happen with isolated liposuction but are not that common with traditional or PAL.  They tend to occur more with heating type devices. Aspiration often multiple times will usually treat this satisfactory. Sometimes  a drain is placed or future surgery may be required if it does not resolve.

Treating seromas after liposuction.

Thank you for asking about your friend's liposuction.

• In my practice, seromas are uncommon and usually small.
  • Your friend's seroma needs to be aspirated 2-3 times a week until the fluid stops forming.
  • One aspiration is not enough.
  • If he has been prescribed antibiotics by her treating surgeon he should take them.
  • This is not a blood clot.
  • Irregularities can result from seromas but usually resolve.
  • You are a kind and supportive friend - if possible go with him to his next appointment to put your questions to the treating surgeon.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes

Liposuction seroma

There are many ways to treat a seroma. I will normally try aspiration 2-3x. If that is not working, the next step is to insert a drain. Another option is injecting a sclerosant. Normally the skin will eventually "stick". The use of post op antibiotics is variable in this situation. 

Seroma

This area is prone to seroma formation . . . This is treated by repeated aspiration in the office 1-2 per week until it finally resolves which can be anywhere from 2-6 weeks depending. If not follow closely, it can be come infected or form a permanent pocket which will require excision. Best to keep contact and follow up with your plastic surgeon . . .

Joel Patrick Maier, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Seroma after liposuction

Thank you for the question and photos.  Seromas can happen after liposuction. They may need to drained repeatedly if the seroma recurs and occasionally a drain may be needed.  I would recommend that she revisit with her plastic surgeon who can help manage the seroma.