What are the differences between Zeltiq Coolsculpting and the non-branded machines from China?

I've had CoolSculpting a couple of times to great effect but it's still SOOOO expensive in the UK, and there are a whole plethora of offers on cryo lipo using the non branded Chinese machines. The temperature on the Chinese machine seems to be lower - does that mean it's going to be more effective, and what are the potential dangers to skin of going lower? Answers from anyone who doesn't hold a Zeltiq licence and is therefore obliged to give the party line most appreciated! thank you

Zeltiq Coolsculpting and the non-branded machines from China

The Zeltiq have higher record of safety and efficacy than the Chinese counterparts. Coolsculpting is worth the extra cost for the potential benefits and risks for both the patient and the physician.

Coolsculpting is best when performed on an area that has an excess number of fat cells.  For example, women say, "When I gain weight, it goes straight to my belly."  That means that you were born with more fat cells in your abdominal area.  It would be great to perform coolsculpting in that area to reduce the number of fat cells there and make that are more proportional with the rest of your body.  Then, if you gain weight, it will be more evenly distributed over your body.  It won't just "go straight" to one area.  

The fat loss is permanent after Coolsculpting.  You typically lose 20-25% of the fat in the area treated, each time you treat it.  I have done it to myself and my staff.  It is truly effective and has no down time.

Since Coolsculpting is FDA approved, it is very safe and allows for permanent fat reduction. I would not trust any random device from china. 

Best of Luck, Sheila Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

What is the difference between Zeltiq coolsculpting and no branded machines from China?

SAFETY is the issue. The zeltiq has built in safety checks to protect your skin. Don't take a chance.

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chinese machines

I would not recommend a procedure with these machines from China.  These companies have tried to duplicate the coolsculpting technology and we have no idea if they will work, or even worse, cause permanent damage to your skin.  Too much cold could cause major problems such as freezing the skin and cause frostbite, which essentially death of the skin from too low a temperature. 

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

CoolSculpting FDA Approval

These non-branded, "knockoff" machines are not FDA approved or regulated.  Use of these machines can result in deleterious effects.  It is vital to choose a clinic using only the CoolSculpt branded machine.  While you may save money initially, the repercussions from using a non FDA approved device are certainly not worth the savings.  

Kent V. Hasen, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

FDA-cleared devices only....

I would only recommend FDA-cleared devices and FDA-approved products as they have undergone rigorous clinical trials and have been shown to be safe. There is no way for one to know how one would respond to a device or product that has not undergone the same rigorous clinical testing as an FDA-cleared/approved device/product. 

Adebola Dele-Michael, MD, FAAD

Using non-branded machines for freezing fat instead of Coolsculpting is ILLEGAL in the US

These machines are not FDA approved and therefore the safety of these machines is not regulated.  There has been millions of $$ put into research by Zeltiq and a Chinese knock off will almost certainly not be of the same precision as the Coolscupting.  Last but not least, the Zeltiq company has patents on their product and will shut down anyone using a device other than Coolsculpting in the US.  

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Cool Sculpting

Patient safety.  I would not place those devices on a member of my family or myself so I would would not place them on any patient in my practice.

Machines from China

Lasers and other medical equipment can all be purchased that are not FDA approved.  I do not know of any reputable physicians that would purchase or use this equipment on their patients.