I have unbearable itching after Coolsculpting a week ago, is this normal?

had coolsculpting done one week ago. I had terrible bruising which is beginning to subside but the itching is almost unbearable. I have a prescription for Gabapentin which helps somewhat. Is this normal?

Itching of the skin after Coolsculpting

The skin along with the fat was frozen during this process, and it is not unusual for it to respond with the sensation of itching in the area.  The area can still be numb from this process and then itchy in its recovery.  If there is a rash on the skin, then the treatment may be different.  I encourage you to speak with your provider again if this sensation persists or if there is a rash on the skin.  Good Luck! 

Chicago Dermatologic Surgeon

Itching after CoolSculpting

Itching is a normal side effect of Coolsculpting so don’t be alarmed. This may persist up to 2 weeks following your procedure. I recommend taking oral Benadryl for this. You can also try icing the area as some patients find this to help. 

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thanks for your question. Itching is one of the side effects of CoolSculpting. I advise my patients to take Benadryl or an oral antihistamine to reduce the itching. I would advise you to contact the office where you were treated. Best wishes.  

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Itching After CoolSculpting

Itching can sometimes occur after treatment. It is always best to consult with the provider that did your treatment so that they can assess your issue and provide you with some options for relief. Oral antihistamines and topical hydrocortisone cream can help relieve itching and rashes, but definitely contact your physician in order to be evaluated properly.

Itching after Coolsculpting

Itching post treatment is not a common side effect, but one that can be easily managed if you contact your treating physician's office.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Itching after a Coolsculpting treatment is not a very common reaction. I suggest returning to your provider and explaining the sensation, especially if there appears to be a rash on the skin. 

CoolSculpting and itching

Common side effects from CoolSculpting are bruising and localized tenderness.  If you are describing unbearable itching I would return to your treating physician since this is an uncommon side effect and needs to be evaluated.

Itching after Cool Sculpting

There are instances where patients have had significant bruising.  The entire area should be evaluated by the provider for other skin problems.  Anti-inflammatories are helpful.  You have been placed on Gabapentin which is a neuromodulator.  It may be helpful.  Lyrica is also useful in these cases but should be at you providers discretion.