Cryolipolysis without antifreeze membrane

Is it possible to have cryo session without the antifreeze membrane.. as my dr did so . Now my whole abdomen is blueish. .and feeling some pain

Cryolipolysis Requires Gel Pads

FDA-cleared CoolSculpting by Zeltiq requires the placement of the gel pads onto the area being treated. The manufacturer insists on this method for for the procedure. I would be concerned that this procedure may not have been CoolSculpting. If the pad was not placed and you are experiencing pain and discolouration, you need to be evaluated. You may wish to see the physician who performed the treatment or you may wish seek out an examination from another highly qualified doctor you can trust.

Coolsculpting procedure of the Abdomen

Coolsculpting is one of my favorite procedures for reducing a bulge in the abdomen, love handles, flanks, and now inner and outer thighs.  It is essential to place the gel pad before the procedure.  I am not entirely certain that you had Coolsculpting by Zeltiq.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist with experience with Coolsculpting for an evaluation.  

If you had CoolSculpting performed on you, there should be a gel pad placed on the skin before the applicator is attached.  I'm not sure if this is the antifreeze membrane to which you are referring.  I would also check to make sure you were treated with a CoolSculpting machine by Zeltiq and not another type.  You should contact the physician who treated you to have your pain and discoloration evaluated.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

CoolSculpting Gel Pads

In the training sessions Zeltiq is adamant that the gel pads should be used between the skin and the applicators with every treatment. It is odd that a practice wouldnt use them as they are free with the purchase of cycles. As for the discoloration and the pain I would recommend that you contact the practice that delivered the treatment.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Dear ILHAM175:

It is best to review this concern and the bluish nature of your abdomen with the physician responsible. Should there be concern regarding the pain or changes in color of the skin you may also proceed to the ER for evaluation.

All the best to you!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS